General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike wont start after basic maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike wont start after basic maintenance

ok heres the deal. I just gave my bike an oil change and cleaned.oiled air filter. I had to drain my gas tank and remove it to clean air filter. after I did oil change bike started fine. I proceeded to clean irfilter and once I was done I put it back on with gas tank hooked up exactly as was prior to removing. I flipped the feul switch back to on position and tried to fire up the bike and all it did was "Try" to start and back fired with smoke out the muffler. What the hell did I do to my bike to cause this? Amyone? I am holding off on replacing spark plugs until I get this solved. Please anyone that can help let me know. Only thing I can think of is maybe the airfilter needs more time for the airfilter oil to dry, would that cause this issue?

Old 07-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Default RE: Bike wont start after basic maintenance

how long did you try to start it? If you drained fuel out of the lines to the carbs then it may take a fews hits or crank for 10 seconds, wait 30 seconds, crank for 10 seconds

Old 07-06-2008, 03:55 AM

I tried more than it usually takes to start from a tank removal thats not the issue its acting odd. I removed the tank again and removed air filter and cleaned again and am going to let it sit to dry overnight and then apply the filter oil and let it sit for sometime before I put all back together. Might try some carb cleaner too. (Crossing fingers)

Old 07-06-2008, 02:49 PM

well I tossed the airfilter back on after cleaning it and letting it dry overnight and newly re-applied oil (Allowed to sit also) and still the bike wont' fire going to dump to gas out just incase thats the problem (may have been contaminated somehow when drained into gas resevoir) and get some fresh gas and add some seafoam to the tank...Any other ideas? I havent done the plugs yet as I am affraid this problem might fould them... Once I get it started (hopefully) I will do the plugs, thats the plan anyhow.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:50 PM

I drained the gas and put fresh gas in the tank (And some in the carbs) then replaced all the plugs. After I got it all back together I fired it up and it ran I let it run a little then shut it off. I added seafoam to the gas and then shook it up to mix it, let it sit for 10 mins and started the bike up again. A little smoke came out the exhaust but nothing really major but the bike definately seems to idle smoother. Not sure if it was the plugs but the were definately fugly, maybe I shoould change them out more than once every 3 years lol. I will go test run it with the seafoam and see if it starts puking out smoke like all seem to promise. Only added like 4 capfulls to a full tank so as not to over do it.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:35 PM

I adjusted the idle and went fr a short ride and OMFG! I have to say it runs Smo0o0oth now. I did sevaral things so it'd hard to say one thing was what made the difference. I did an oil change, cleaned air filter, changed plugs adjusted the idle and added some seafoam to the gas and now it runs like a champ! Very gratifying to conquer the problem on my own. Looking forward to the ride to work tomorrow now!