General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike stalls & Battery Dies. Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike stalls & Battery Dies. Need Help!

I posted in another forum but am not sure if that was the correct area, so please excuse this if you have seen it twice. My problems: I recently bought a 2002 used CBR600F4i and have had a few problems I am hoping to get some help with. The first problem is my battery keeps dying on me. I replaced it with a new one, fully charged it before using it, and now it goes dead after a few starts, even after I've ridden the bike for periods of 30 minutes or more. I noticed the headlight brightens and dims as I rev the throttle, which makes me think it may be an alternator related problem. Secondly, when at slow speeds 0-10mph such as when turning around, the bike occassionally stalls, but I can immediately restart it. With this too, I am thinking it is an electrical short or something of the sort. I read another post which mentioned the battery problem may be attributed to a faulty "regulator rectifier", but I do not see that in any parts lists. Any help or ideas?

Old 03-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Default RE: Bike stalls & Battery Dies. Need Help!

Definately sounds like a charging system issue...
I replied in another place on the CBRforum, and here is what I put..
Check your battery, and your battery connection..and if that is good; check the charging system by putting a volt meter on the battery terminals while it is running. At idle it should be putting out about 12.8 or better volts at least and the rev it up to about 5500 rpm with the low beam on and the voltage should be around 13.5 or so..if not it is a charging system problem and it is more than likely the Regulator/Rectifier...try that.
It ( regulator/rectifier) is located on the subframe and looks like a pack of cigarrettes with a plug on it..either it works or it doesnt. If your charging system is not working, see if you can borrow your friends ( if he has the same bike as you do) and test the charging system again..if it still is not charging, it is probally the stator ( alternator)

Old 03-21-2005, 05:15 AM

Thank you. I will do as you suggest and post the results (if any) here. I sense my next question is going to involve how to replace the stator. I have seen pictures in the tech manual, but wouldn't know what part(s) it would involve if I needed to go that route.

Old 03-26-2005, 12:04 AM

I tried as you suggested and it appears the battery (for some strange reason) is maintaining the charge and recharging according to my OHMs meter. As for the stalling, I adjusted the idel rpms and that problem too has dissapeared. Thanks for your help!