General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Keeps cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 03:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Keeps cutting out

I have an 02 F4i. When I am riding the bike keeps periodically cutting out. The head lights turn off and I lose power to the motor. All the guages stay on. Sometimes this happens on startup. If I jiggle the harness in the front, the lights come back on and I can start it up. So I tore the front end apart to see if I could isolate the problem. I checked continuity in all the connecters and they seem fine. It's really strange and I don't want to replace the whole harness because thats expensive and the wires look good. I am thinking it may be a bad relay but not sure. Does anyone know how to bypass the headlight cutoff to the engine? Any suggest are appreciated!

Old 12-07-2006, 03:46 AM
Default RE: Bike Keeps cutting out

Make sure all wires are connected properly, no crossed signals. Check your fuses (although I don't think this is the problem). Check that your battery terminals are connected properly and securely.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:18 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When it cuts out, if you look at the headlight bulbs really close can you see a very very faint orange glow? And do both the signal indicators light up at the same time on the cluster? And the fuel pump doesn't prime when you turn the key on? If so, you have a poor ground connection in the connector between the headlight harness and the main harness. Unplug the headlight harness and look for the green ground wire, it's in one of the end terminals (I forget exactly which #), and if you look in the pin terminals (both male and female sides), I'll bet you'll find some black residue, signs of arching from a poor connection

Check it out, see what ya find!

Old 12-08-2006, 05:23 AM

Right on guys, thanks for the replys. I got am now going through checking the grounds. All the connecters seem to check out. I looked at the green ground on the front headlight harness...it looks pretty good; not much residue. I'll clean it just to make sure it's making a good connection. We'll see, I'll ya posted!

-Ian