General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike hesitates at low RPMs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bike hesitates at low RPMs?

Hey fellas. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this issue. I have sold the cruiser and bought a sportbike. It is a 95 honda cbr 600 f3. it runs strong out on country roads when the RPMs are up but when i am putting around through town its sounds horrible. It almost seems like the bike hesitates and is jerky. I was just wondering if this is common for sportbikes or not? I bought a couple of bottles of Seafoam and ran them through the engine but it doesnt see like it did much. Any suggestions on what I can do to make her purr like a kitten at low RPMs? Thanks.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:24 AM

Is everything stock on the bike?

My exhaust was upgraded then the can was cut, (stunter's bike) and I had similar issues, rough idle, a little hesitant in low RPM's, somewhat jerky with the throttle. One mechanic told me it needed to be jetted. Now, don't take this as experienced advice, because I am new to sportbikes also. Just what one suggested it may be. Just offering up one possibility.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:34 AM

You may have to be a little specific as to whats it doing. Is it low throttle input? or RPM related? Is the engine actually missing? Or is the bike just a little jerky?

However, since you are coming from a cruiser, its hard to get in the habit of keeping the rpms up and that could be your issue. These bikes do not like really low rpms like a cruiser does. Inline 4's really like their rpms. Im not sure what rpms your running in, but they are much higher on an inline 4 than on a twin. I'd say try not to let them drop below 4 grand and see if that helps. I've had a few friends that have made the switch and it takes them a long time to realize the rpms need to be higher. Its a hard switch to see what use to be your redline, now be your cruising rpm.

Also, make sure your chain tension is correct. A loose chain will give you that jerky feeling at low speeds. Its much more noticable on a sportbike than a cruiser if the chain is loose. Also, make sure its not binding or dirty. These chains require some maintenance, so make sure to keep up on it.