F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

06 F4i starter hesitates after bike has warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 F4i starter hesitates after bike has warmed up

When I go to fire the bike up for the first time it works no problem. Even after not starting it for a week or longer. After a little bit of riding around, if I shut the bike off (put the kickstand down while in gear) and then start it back up say after a min or two it has a hard time restarting. Even the whole display will blank out and then it will eventually kick over. Is my starter going bad? CPU freaking out since it was shut off by the kickstand going down? Battery the issue? It's done it a few times now.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Old 02-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check all of the connections, both to the battery and the starter. Inspect the wires
for frayed/bad insulation. Pull the main fuse, in the starter-relay connector, look for
corrosion, etc., use some contact cleaner on the fuse's base contacts and replace with
a known, good fuse. Hopefully that will help you find the issue.

Good luck, Ern

Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the tips!

I've not had any problems since that one day. Yesterday after I changed my oil and filter, took the bike out for a quick spin around the neighborhood, and then cleaned the chain, etc. Still never had issues with stopping and restarting the bike back up.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad it was just a temp issue. I would still recommend going through the harness
and inspecting the wiring for frays/wear/damage. In addition, pulling apart all of the
connectors (one at a time), and spraying them with contact-cleaner and then packing
them with di-electric grease is cheap, and time well spent. It might even prevent
your previous issue from raising it's head again. While you're cleaning all of the
connectors, look them over for any sign of heat damage. Melted/warped, burnt pins, etc.
If they all look good, GREAT. If any show signs of damage, it might give you a 'heads-up"
before something decides to fail, at the worst possible moment. ;-)

It would definetly not be a wasted afternoon, Ern

Old 02-22-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Glad it was just a temp issue. I would still recommend going through the harness
and inspecting the wiring for frays/wear/damage. In addition, pulling apart all of the
connectors (one at a time), and spraying them with contact-cleaner and then packing
them with di-electric grease is cheap, and time well spent. It might even prevent
your previous issue from raising it's head again. While you're cleaning all of the
connectors, look them over for any sign of heat damage. Melted/warped, burnt pins, etc.
If they all look good, GREAT. If any show signs of damage, it might give you a 'heads-up"
before something decides to fail, at the worst possible moment. ;-)

It would definetly not be a wasted afternoon, Ern
Fantastic idea! Thank you. The way this weather has been in DC there's plenty of warm afternoons on the weekends lately!