General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike cutting out when lights are turned on

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike cutting out when lights are turned on

Hi guys, as mentioned above I have a problem with my f4i cutting out. I bought the bike last week and it was running fine until yesterday when I went for a spin. It'd sometimes cut out while I was changing down gears but when I went to restart it with the lights on it would turn over ok but not fire. Once the lights are switched off it'll start and run fine. Could this be a problem with the right hand controls which houses the kill switch and light switch or is it something else completely?

Old 03-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not familiar with the wiring on the controls for the F4i, I'm just 'bumping' this to get it back up where those that are will see and comment...

Good luck, though, Ern

Old 03-31-2012, 05:50 PM

It could be any number of things. A little more history on the bike will help. Such as accidents, modifications... that sort of thing.

Is there a separate switch for your headlights? as if someone wired the headlights to a toggle switch? If so, that may be the issue if its not wired correctly.

First thing I would do is check the battery. Make sure its in good working condition. Then check the output of the charging system with the bike running by measuring the voltage at the battery at idle and around 4,000 rpms. I'm only guessing, but it could be a bad stator not keeping the battery charged and the headlights being on are drawing too much power.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Registered Users

I dont have much history of the bike as I only bought it last week. Theres no sign of any accident damage or modification. The bike is pretty much standard. The bike is Irish/UK spec so the lighting has a thumb switch under the kill switch with off/park/main beam and the seperate head/dip beam on the left controls. The previous owner recently replaced the battery within the last few months but I'll check it anyway.
The bad stator sounds like it could fit the problem because the bike starts fine even from cold and when it starts from cold and idles 2-3k revs on auto choke the lights will work. The problem arrises when the idle is at a normal <1krpm or when changing gear and the revs drop off while shifting.
Thanks for the replys and I'll get back with any updates.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 AM

I think the idle of 1k is too low. Try increasing it to 1300rpm. Also the rectifier could be faulty by not allowing the alternator to fully charge the battery. Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals, rev the motor to 4000+ revs and see if the voltage increases to 13.5-14.0 volts. If not, then, after checking altenator output, replace the rectifier if you know the battery is ok. The Haynes manual has all the tests to check the charging system out plus electrical fault finding, so might be worth getting one?

Originally Posted by scudster
I dont have much history of the bike as I only bought it last week. Theres no sign of any accident damage or modification. The bike is pretty much standard. The bike is Irish/UK spec so the lighting has a thumb switch under the kill switch with off/park/main beam and the seperate head/dip beam on the left controls. The previous owner recently replaced the battery within the last few months but I'll check it anyway.
The bad stator sounds like it could fit the problem because the bike starts fine even from cold and when it starts from cold and idles 2-3k revs on auto choke the lights will work. The problem arrises when the idle is at a normal <1krpm or when changing gear and the revs drop off while shifting.
Thanks for the replys and I'll get back with any updates.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 AM

the idle should be about 1000 to 1100, 1300 is too fast but the rest of the advice sems good, a short in the lighting circuit would of course kill the engineas well. Electical problems have habit of being intermittant nd therefore difficult to pin down

Old 02-19-2017, 12:16 PM
Default Cutting out

Hi I've got a Honda fireblade streetfighter 900rr my bike had been left for about 2 weeks thought I better start it started it up it was dark so switched the lights on and it cut out I've checked fuse earth wires and all the other wires all fine I took off the switch had a look in side all seems fine I managed to start it and it stayed running some as I switched the lights on cut out got it going again after disconnecting lights I tried keeping revs up then turning on and it stayed running but revs slightly dropped as I turned it on any ideas what it is ???????