General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery won't charge well

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery won't charge well

hi my 2003 cbr600rr battery does not charge well. Ok let's say I warm the bike then drive 2 miles, my bike does not have the battery start unless I wait 1 hour. It start fine again. I emailed the seller, he claims the battery was recently changed. I guess something wrong with the charging system? How much will it cost and how to fix it?

Old 12-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Battery won't charge well

Its probably that your regulator has had the Richard, common problem (like every bloody CBR).
Draws current from your battery, don't know wot you guys will pay to have it replaced, do a search, there has to be dozens of posts about this one. Don't buy a OEM replacement, get an after market heavy duty unit so it won't stuff up again.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:26 AM

Sorry Im a motorcycle newbie. I did not change anything. All I know is the previous owner changed the exhast and power commander thing(he says the bike drops like 30 pounds and it cost him 1k)

Old 12-08-2007, 03:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, your voltage regulator is faulty (most probable cause) Could be a bad battery, but I doubt it. It over heats, then stops working, so your bike then drains power from the battery. The reg is located on the right side rear of the bike, attached to the frame. The faults starts intermittently at 1st, but the reg brakes down, so eventually it stops working = flat battery. Replacing it with a heavy duty item (read BIGGER heatsinks) will stop this from happening again. It cost me about $200 (Australian) to have it done, with a very minor adjustment for mounting it (cause its bigger).

Old 12-08-2007, 11:25 AM

http://webpages.charter.net/knightslugger/CSA.pdf

use that to you advantage.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:32 AM

Before you do any of this take the battery to autozone and have them test it. How do you know the last owner really did replace it? Even then maby the battery just isn't holding a charge? I drained my last battery by accident, I left my bike on for hours. I jumped it with a car and road home and put it on a trickle charger. It would only hold a charge for about 1 day. It kept dieing on me and I thought my bike wasn't charging it right. I finally went to Walmart and bought a battery there. Poored in the acid, stuck it into my bike, and road off. Ever since then its work, no problems at all.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: pacemaker

Ok, your voltage regulator is faulty (most probable cause) Could be a bad battery, but I doubt it. It over heats, then stops working, so your bike then drains power from the battery. The reg is located on the right side rear of the bike, attached to the frame. The faults starts intermittently at 1st, but the reg brakes down, so eventually it stops working = flat battery. Replacing it with a heavy duty item (read BIGGER heatsinks) will stop this from happening again. It cost me about $200 (Australian) to have it done, with a very minor adjustment for mounting it (cause its bigger).
Actually, the Regulator/rectifier on the CBR600RR is on the LEFT SIDE under the MID FAIRING near the RADIATOR. Replacing it with a 2005/2006 Regulator/Rectifier will alleviate the problem from ever occurring again... if this is your problem. like so many other 2003/2004 cbr600rr bike have fallen victim to, i wouldn't be surprised if it is. the problem with the 2003/2004 is a mounting engineering short sight. the regulator is mounted in such a way that prohibits proper R/R cooling during low speed travel. you don't see the problem happening to many bike that are used primarily on the track or recreation in a canyon/twisty road but rather bike that are used for commute in traffic, stop and go, low speed situations. you also see this a lot with those individuals that keep the RPMs high during low speed situations. This build up heat around the radiator area and effects the R/R's ability to cool properly. traveling in a high gear helps prevent this from happening, but your climate may contribute as well so it's no guarantee. only a replacement with a 2005/2006 unit will better assure this problem will not return. be sure to test your system before you bring it is to the shop. they will charge you for the diagnostic, which is super stupid simple to do... unless they charge you nothing for it.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:37 AM

ok thanks for all the inputs. I will go to walmart or sears and purchase tools to take the battery. And if the battery is fine, I will get a wall charger so that I can ride it to bike shop and have them to take a look.

i have a silly question though. are those steps to push start?

1- turn ignition on
2- hold clutch and go to gear 2
3- ask someone to push me
4- let go clutch and apply little throttle

do i need to use the start button at all? the little red button on the right

by the way, i found a really useful link:
http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/140473.aspx

Old 12-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A hill to roll down works well also. Here is a note to self, if the battery is too dead, the bike will not start when trying to push start. But for the most part, those are the steps for push starting. Ifno one is around to help out, you canpush the bike yourself and then jump into the saddle. Then try starting step 4.