General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air compressor...

Old 07-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air compressor...

So, I want an air compressor.
I want it to preform soda blasting and light painting duties, without breaking the bank.
Having never used one, is there any minimum spec I should be looking for?? In terms of size, power, litres??

Any help appreciated

Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kobalt 1.6-HP 30-Gallon 155 PSI Electric Air Compressor

Name:  RL1kSVD.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  5.9 KB

This is what i use for all my work. Operates flawlessly and relatively inexpensive!

Old 07-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by sickcbr1k
Kobalt 1.6-HP 30-Gallon 155 PSI Electric Air Compressor

This is what i use for all my work. Operates flawlessly and relatively inexpensive!
I have the same one. Works great! Runs on 110v and fairly quiet. Just need to chock the wheels.

The important thing to look for is the CFM output. The more the better. Don't get caught up in the HP of the motor and all the big shiny numbers on the box.
The bigger the tank, the less the motor will need to run to keep good pressure.

Your paint guns and air tools will have a minimum air requirement. Make sure you get enough to run them. For best results, use a air short hose. Longer hoses reduce pressure and flow.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

get an air compressor that works for your tools. there are many painting/bodywork forums that i'm sure would help you with which tools you'd want to buy if you don't already have them. if you do already have them, make sure you get an air compressor that can sufficiently run those tools. as far as size of tank, hp, etc - that's up to you and your budget.

i made my own out of two junked compressors. it sucks, but if it's free - it's me, so it works for most of my tools - but if i were going to be spraying paint - i wouldn't use it because it doesn't have a consistently high psi....

Last edited by Conrice; 07-23-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weird, I`ve seen my fair share of compressors, but never ever one that has an upright tank.

I have one of these:

3hp V2 w/ 50 litre tank hooked to a 16 meter retractable wall reel. Best thing I`ve bought to the garage for a long time. Sorry for the massive pic, couldn`t find smaller...

Buy one that suits your needs, if you are going to sand blast stuff you need a MASSIVE one, air power tools like bolt gun needs fairly big tank too to sustain enough pressure.

Basically the main thing is look for the largest you can afford, then save some more and buy the next bigger one, it`s a long term investment and I`ll guarantee there`s not many more aggravating things in the garage than an undersized compressor, that Hyundai was way more than what I needed and the price made my eyes water but when the sting faded I`ve not regretted for one minute.

If you even consider the ones that has two tiny little tanks under the motor like this:

, they are made for the pressure nail guns and nothing more, and don`t even do that well...

Last edited by Mattson; 07-23-2013 at 01:12 PM.