General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a compressor, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a compressor, any suggestions?

Been shopping online and at the local HOME DEPOT for a good air compressor. This will be mainly for inflating the tires on my bike and cars, then using it for the bicycles, sports equipment, etc.

I've read a million reviews and can't seem to find a good, solid model.

I'm looking at an electric one, no oil, and it's staying in my garage. Price could be up to 250-300, I just want something that will work and not fall apart after a few months.

If anyone has one at home or in their shop, please let me know what you use and what you recommend.

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

As an ex furniture maker I bought one many years ago, second hand, from a guy that used to make fence panels. I've had it for over 20 years now and it's a very reliable tool. A little on the large side size wise perhaps (4cfm) but I have never regretted spending £80 on something that has paid for its self so many times over.
The point is...... check out the classifieds. You don't have to buy new. You may even get some useful accessories thrown in with the deal.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by HenryM
As an ex furniture maker I bought one many years ago, second hand, from a guy that used to make fence panels. I've had it for over 20 years now and it's a very reliable tool. A little on the large side size wise perhaps (4cfm) but I have never regretted spending £80 on something that has paid for its self so many times over.
The point is...... check out the classifieds. You don't have to buy new. You may even get some useful accessories thrown in with the deal.

+1 on that! I bought mine from a private classified ad in the Auto Trader magazine about 15 years ago. Paid about £80 for it. It came with quite a few spares and accessories too! It's got a 150 litre tank and will keep up with my grit blasting gun! I regularly use it for spraying paint plus a variety of other air tools!

Checking the local classifieds is definately worthwhile matey!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:05 PM

I bought a crafstman about 15 years ago. I've used it for spraying, da sanding, air tools.... any number of things. It has lasted a long time. I did however recently rebuild the piston on it. But the good thing was it only cost me like 30 bucks for to rebuild it. The only real downside to the oil-less ones is they are extremely loud. If its in your garage and you are going to use it for an extended period of time, it can become quite annoying. I actually have mine in a seperate room that is attached to my garage, and have the air piped into the garage so its not that loud. If your in the same room as the compressor, it is very loud. When I bought mine, I think I paid around 350. but its a high cfm, I think 13cfm at 40 psi, and 10 at 90 psi. I bought a high cfm because of the air tools and spraying I needed it for. Its amazing how much air DA sanders and sprayguns take. But for quality, it has been amazing for how much it gets used.

I do agree with others though. Buying used can get you a really nice compressor for the money. Generally, if they work, they work. Its hard to abuse an air compressor, so buying used is usually a safe bet.

Having said that, I would buy the largest cfm rating you can afford. Don't worry about max psi, anything over 100 psi is more than enough, worry about how much cfm it puts out. You may be only interested in pumping up tires and stuff right now, but if you want to run tools later on, buy a better compressor now.

As far as quality. I don't think you can really go wrong with any new name brand compressor. Rigid, Cambell Housefield, Craftsman, Husky... all make good compressors.

If I had to choose on your budget, this would be a good choice from homedepot.... if you can't find a nice used one.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Old 01-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI - I think all the Home Depot "husky" brand compressors are made by Campbell Hausfeld.

I bought a 26 gallon Campbell Hausfeld 6 years ago and it has been used so much. I think it's the same as the 26gal Husky that HD is selling for $239 that justasquid mentioned above.

If you're mechanical - an air compressor is one of those things that you can never have a big enough one. If you ever plan on using tools like die grinders, cut off wheels, air D/A sanders, or do some painting with it - the bigger the better - flow rates become important. For nailers and staplers, even framing nailers, you'll be fine.

I've done everything above but paint with mine - although the cut off tools, and sanders eat into it quickly, and you have to work in smaller sections while you wait for the pressure to build back up.

If you're fine with spending what you're saying - you can get a nice one.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch out of you buy a used one: Beware of Old Air Compressors

Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
Watch out of you buy a used one: Beware of Old Air Compressors
sheesh that's spooky - something I've been afraid of all my life - I drain my tank a couple of times a year, although I dunno how often I should be.

I used to work for an outdoors shop that did SCUBA tank fills, and airpak fills for the local firefighters - man I hated that. Even though I know those tanks are evaluated and pressure tested yearly, and I would never fill something that hadn't been annualed.

That guy had all that happen from 150psi in what looked like a 60 gallon tank - imagine 3000psi in a 4 gallon tank.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:44 AM
January 2011 Ride of the Month

I recently got an air-compressor new from Sears. Its a craftsman brand but wanted to let you know you'll want a 10 gallon and up if you wanna us an impact wrench for changing a tires on a car or other jobs that use a bit of air.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 PM

I'd recommend getting a big one. With a large tank, you can start to use air tools. (impact, die grinder, etc). Not to mention it'll air up a tire real quick.