General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire inflator for compressor?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire inflator for compressor?

Hey guys. Can anyone recommend a good style tire inflator for my compressor? I currently have one like this

and its a pain in the *** to properly inflate the tires on my bikes. What I'd really want is something I can set the desired pressure and have it cut off when reached

Old 05-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every compressor I've seen has a regulator, just set it at the pressure you want.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Administrator - Retired

I like the one like this. Squeeze the trigger to put the air in, then let go and a pressure gauge pops out and tells you the current pressure. They also come without the long metal wand (or you can put whatever tip you want on them)

Old 05-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I like the one like this. Squeeze the trigger to put the air in, then let go and a pressure gauge pops out and tells you the current pressure. They also come without the long metal wand (or you can put whatever tip you want on them)

I agree with this style inflator that is flexible. But get one that comes with the short tip so its not that long wand on the end. Easier to get into the wheel area to fill the tires.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Red_Eye
Every compressor I've seen has a regulator, just set it at the pressure you want.
Regulators just limit the pressure at the tool. It doesn't stop the compressor when that pressure is met.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pfff, I use a bicycle pump sucker!

Old 05-02-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Regulators just limit the pressure at the tool. It doesn't stop the compressor when that pressure is met.
Ummm, no ****. Read what you wrote again. Limiting air pressure at the tool (the air chuck in this case) is exactly what you're asking for. The compressor doesn't (and shouldn't) stop when the regulator pressure is met -- if it did, there wouldn't be a pressure differential to work with. When the tire pressure reaches the setting on the regulator the airflow will stop (or the regulator will vent the excess) and you're done.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 to Trout

That's the style we have for our compressor in the barn/garage at my parents place. That with the short wand like lonewolf was talking about are very versatile.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:23 PM

Did as trout and wolf suggested. Grabbed one over the weekend, sans wand. Took longer taping and connecting the quick connect than getting the tire pressure right.

Need to watch the rear tire for a few days. Possible I under-inflated it. More likely let out too much air trying to maneuver those wands inbetween the disc & wheel. Rear was at mid-20s. It's at 42 now. Will check every morning prior to riding to work to be sure I don't have a slow leak.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Administrator - Retired

Took longer taping and connecting the quick connect than getting the tire pressure right.
Yeah, they're pretty cool.
And as I said earlier about putting a different end on it.... most of them you can just remove the wand and put any tip you like on there for the bike.
Makes it convenient cuz then you can switch to the longer one for cars/trucks, etc. (another quick connect if you please.. ).

The clowns at the shop where I work broke the nice one they had (like yours) and replaced it with one of those ones with a dial and this horrible little button you have to push to turn the air on. (all to save like $2)
Word of warning, if you ever even hear of someone getting that push button style, tell them not to. They suck. No leverage on the button so you get to push straight on it till you have a nice sore little red dot on your thumb....lol Perfect for 100psi truck tires.