General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Extra Terminals for Jump

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Extra Terminals for Jump

I don't even know if that title makes sense, but anyway.

Hi, I'm a new member, first time rider and bike owner, I am currently working on getting my bike up and running, and my battery is dead. I wonder if any of you have ever thought to add some kind of hookups for jumper cables to make jump starting easier without having to remove the seat?

Maybe some kind of wiring that leads to hookups near the rear fender or something that could be capped when not in use, but when you need a jump, there they are, and with enough contact that a full sized jumper cable could clamp/bite down on it.

I'm no mechanic or engineer, but to me it seems like it would be an easy thing to create. Does anyone see any downsides or problems to that?

Old 07-08-2010, 10:41 PM

I dont see a downside to it. Its not a bad idea either. You would only have to use a jumper on the positive, and the frame will act as the ground, so only one external hookup will be needed. They've done this on cars for quite a few years now since the engine compartments have gotten more compact and getting to the battery is difficult at times, so they use a posititve jumper post as well.

Having said that. Most people keep their bikes in proper running condition, and if the bike is well kept, battery issues are rare. Also, bikes are very easily push started. A slight incline and second gear usually has the bike running quickly.

But, its a good idea. I would even consider going to a salvage yard and pickup up and automotive jumper post. It will be easy to hook up, and they usually have caps on them.

But also, if you have a battery tender, it would make for a quick hook up. The more I think about it. the better the idea is.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 AM

I do agree with the thought that a well maintained bike should need to be jumped, or bumped. But, I am a little ashamed to say that I haven't been able to ride my (first) bike just yet, for a couple of reasons.

One of which is time, so I am pretty sure that the battery is going to need to be replaced, but the thought just made sense to me.

I am glad that my thought wasn't crazy. Is there any reason why I couldn't run a proper wire from the positive terminal on the battery to a stainless steel bolt or something like that, and just make sure that it was properly insulated and sealed when not in use?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:47 AM

Nothing wrong with trying to be prepared. I was just stating that once your bike is brought up to where it should be, the need for jumps shouldn't be an issue. But I like the way you think.

I wouldnt use stainless for the bolt as it doesn't conduct electricity very well. I would find an aluminum bolt, or maybe even a galvanized bolt instead. Aluminum would be best in your situation. I think I would find a sturdy piece of plastic to drill the hole through. You didn't mention what bike you had, but most bikes have a lot of plastic under the tail section that could be used. you could also use a rubber grommet to isolate it if you mount it to steel or aluminum, but then you run the risk of the rubber failing at some point.

Also, just throwing it out there. Use a proper gauge of wire. You can buy battery cabes in various lengths at most autoparts stores.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:01 AM

Doesnt sound like a bad idea, but at the same time bikes are very easily bump started I would just do that personally.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:56 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going to connect a permanent jumper wire to the battery you might as well invest in something like a Battery Tender Jr. They come with a pigtail so you can leave it on the battery all the time and it has an insulated cap to keep it from shorting out. You can route the wire anywhere your imagination can think up.

A Battery Tender Jr is something that you should have anyway. My motorcycle battery stays plugged into one whenever I'm done riding for the day. They are less than $25 on eBay, including shipping and the pigtail.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 PM

I checked out the Battery Tender Jr., that is more or less what I was thinking. It looks like I will be going that route. Thanks for the heads up. Although I was looking forward to a little mad scientist action on my bike