General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shock spherical bearing 2005 CBR 600 RR

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear shock spherical bearing 2005 CBR 600 RR

First off, any help would be appreciated - I have a question about my 2005 CBR 600 RR's rear shock. The spherical bearing in particular.

I bought my CBR just about a month ago. I have 15k miles (1,200 from me!!) and, from what I can tell, everything appears to be in working order - meaning that mechanically I don't know of any obvious problems. In another 1k I will be going in for the 16k mile service and at the end of the season (in Wisconsin that could be in September, but I'm shooting for November ha ha) I'll be putting on new tires and brakes. I'm comfortable doing most of the regular maintenance i.e. oil change, fluid flushes, brakes pad changes, chain tension adjustments, etc.

This morning I was changing the clutch cable. When I purchased the bike, I noticed that the clutch action was "sticky," or perhaps a better description is "spongy" as I pulled the lever in and out. This drove me nuts but I figured it was an easy fix, so after getting the new cable on and adjusted, along with some white lithium grease up on the lever, it's as smooth as warm butter. Afterwards I found myself covered in grease (which I love!) and way ahead of schedule - I gave myself two hours for this simple job since it was the first time I have truly gotten my hands dirty taking off the panels and whatnot and I had no real idea what I would encounter/screw up. Plus, I like to take my time. I decided what the hell, I'll keep fiddling around since I'm already dirty. I cleaned up the chain, the top of the chain runner, scrubbed the rear wheel, and then I decided to lighten up the rear suspension a tad. I put the spanner wrench from the on-board tool kit on the cam collar, started to torque it, and to my horror the whole damn shock turned!

Now, I should have mentioned that this is my first Japanese sport bike, so perhaps this is normal to have a rear shock able to move about. But something in my brain tells me this isn't normal. My guess is that the spherical bearing is ka-put.

A couple of times riding around, I do remember hearing a rattle or knock noise coming from down low on the bike over some more severe bumps, but I didn't think much of it at the time - again maybe I'm just not familiar with what a "normal" CBR sounds like over big bumps so perhaps this is a tell-tale indication confirming my suspicions, perhaps not. I initially thought it was the side stand knocking as I was going bump-bump-bump getting my fillings rattled out of my head, but this incident has me rethinking the noise.

Ok, anyway, have any of you heard of something like this? Anyone change the rear suspension setting and notice that the shock could be moved when you torque on the spanner wrench? Let's say it is a shock bushing that is bad, anyone ever change one out? I have the Clymer book for the CBR and looking through the instructions it doesn't seem like the most difficult job to get the shock out but do I really need a press to replace the spherical bearing or can that come out in a vice with a hammer and some grunt work? I can do regular maintenance well enough but I'm mostly worried that I have just enough knowledge on how to take the *** end apart to end up with 1/2 my motorcycle on a lift and the other 1/2 in pieces on the garage floor.

Again, any insight/help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

-Dave