General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 CBR 900, wont start after changing plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a wiring diagram for that bike, but the neutral switch and the clutch switch should be able to work independently of each other. Otherwise the only way to start the bike would be to have it in neutral every time. Even if the neutral switch was broken the bike should still start with the clutch lever pulled in.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Registered Users
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I found what may be the problem...pulled the wire off the neutral sensor and started tracing it back...found a frayed spot in the wire, taped over it but it was also kinked a lil so may be broken as well...we put a light meter on the wire and got nothing, so gonna start there and replace the wire and see if that corrects the issue, if not may have blown the sensor as well....we pulled all the fuses and they were good...fingers crossed this is the problem... Thanks again for the input and suggestions..

Old 01-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Registered Users
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so finally got around to messing with this bike again, I replaced the whole neutral sensor harness and the neutral sensor, still got nothing. I also noticed today that my turn signals aren't working and makes a buzzing noise when you switch it on...not sure if this is related to the bike not turning over or showing in neutral..I did have some LED lights put on the bike and honestly can't remember if they were put on before or after I discovered this issue..would it be possible that they tapped into something they shouldn't have? We just all the fuses again today and everything appears to be fine...

Anyone got any other ideas or suggestions...Need to get this bike running so I can sell it..

Old 01-26-2013, 06:43 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dead battery...

Old 01-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U didnt by any chance mess with the ignition coils, did u?

Originally Posted by Stuckeygirl
Ok, so finally got around to messing with this bike again, I replaced the whole neutral sensor harness and the neutral sensor, still got nothing. I also noticed today that my turn signals aren't working and makes a buzzing noise when you switch it on...not sure if this is related to the bike not turning over or showing in neutral..I did have some LED lights put on the bike and honestly can't remember if they were put on before or after I discovered this issue..would it be possible that they tapped into something they shouldn't have? We just all the fuses again today and everything appears to be fine...

Anyone got any other ideas or suggestions...Need to get this bike running so I can sell it..

Old 01-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think estate is right.. when my stator blew, it took the battery with it and it made a buzzing sound when trying to start it and lost my dashboard lights as well..put a new stator and battery in and it started like a new bike w/nice bright dash lights..anyway with info provided it sounds like a low battery, try giving it a charge/jump..
Jay