General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 CBR 900, wont start after changing plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Registered Users
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 CBR 900, wont start after changing plugs

Changed the plugs and now bike wont start or show in neutral, even though its physically is in neutral...wont turn over with clutch in or out, side stand up or down... wondering if I bumped or pinched something while changing the plugs and reinstalling the gas tank...all was working fine prior to the plug change...anyone know "what" under the gas tank I could have bumped...just trying to get a general idea of where to start looking for the problem...or this could all be just a random failure that happened at the same time I change the plugs...who knows...I have basic mechanical skills and a lot of common sense, so fire away with your ideas or suggestions for TS...

Thanks

Old 08-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start with the fuses. This also sounds dumb but you didn't get the plug wires on the wrong cylinders, right?

Maybe the neutral sensor wire was pulled off the sensor during maintenance, but that isn't why the bike won't start.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Just go through the procedure for changing plugs - in your head - and work back.

Did you remove the tank? Did you unplug a fuel pump wire? Did you plug in everything you unplugged before trying to start it? You did put the plug leads back on in the right order? Did you buy the correct plugs?

If it was working properly prior to the plug change, you have probably, unplugged something during the process. No biggie!

Will it turn over but not fire?

More clues needed.

Cheers, SB

Old 08-21-2012, 06:20 AM
Registered Users

The plug wires are in the right order, I took them off and changed them 1 at a time. Bikes fuel is vaccum fed, no fuel pump...when I turn the switch on, lights come on but when pushing the start button..nothing...its like I'm trying to start the bike in gear with the side stand down...thats why we tried it with clutch in and out, stand up and down...still nothing...we rolled the bike back and forth but couldn't get it to show in neutral even though it was...I pulled the tank completely off to change plugs so was working from the topside...thats why I was asking if there is a sensor, wire, ect in that area that I could have accidentally bumped and knocked loose...I didn't have to unplug any kind of wires and such to get to the plugs once the tank is off..if it was the wrong plugs or out of order..the bike would at least attempt to fire over but I'm not even getting that....thats why I'm guessing I bumped something loose at some point that has to do with the neutral sensor or maybe a ground wire...I know next to nothing about electrical issues....so any suggestion would be great.....I'll check the fuses when I go over this afternoon just to be sure nothing blew...

Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your neutral switch may be bad or disconnected....it's the wire that goes into the gear box on the left stator cover. If bad switch, bike thinks it's in gear ALL the time, even when in fact you are in N.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:08 AM

My money is on the main fuse.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If the neutral switch is bad, I think it would turn over if the clutch were pulled in.

Like a stall in traffic in gear.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:14 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Won't show in neutral, but physically in neutral...meaning the green light don't come on. Gotta be the neutral switch...fix that first then see.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Registered Users

Cool, I check the fuses and the neutral switch first, see what I come up with...Thanks for the input..

Old 08-22-2012, 01:43 PM

Look for the 30 amp (I think that is the size) fuse that is right off the battery positive terminal. It is right on the starter solenoid.

Quick Reply: 99 CBR 900, wont start after changing plugs