General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Blacbird1100xx Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Blacbird1100xx Issues

I just bought a 97 1000xx super for 400 decent condition motor seems to run strong. although my guess would be that my stator is shot. right above where the stator is there is a wire that that got fried and split from its little connector. i drove 1 mile out of shop were i bought it and lost all power. even with jumper cables on battery no power ran threw the bike. if anybody has some advice or could offer help would be great thankls

So-cal area

Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 PM

If somebody could actually give some help instead of just look at my post would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:01 PM

If somebody could actually give some help instead of just look at my post would be greatly appreciated.
If no one looks, they don't know if they can answer your question. You certainly don't want someone to answer the question if they don't know.

What color are the wires? Are they all the same? Most stators will have 3 wires the same color. I think you already know the answer in that you need a new stator if the wires coming out are fried.

But, you can take a voltage meter to your battery with the bike running and measure how many volts are present. It should be in the 14+ range at 4,000 rpms.

You can also take each wire that is coming from the stator and measure across all leads. You are going to measure for resistance. if it is more than .1, you have a grounded wire.

I think at this point, since you have visible damage to the wires, you should probably replace the stator.

As far as having no power, its possible the damaged wires grounded out and blew the main fuse. I'm not positive, but I think its under the seat on the bike. Its also possible the battery itself shorted internally. These bikes run soley on the battery. the charging system only recharges the battery. If the battery is bad, the bike won't run.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:20 PM

The three wires coming directly from the stator are black. then there is a plastic connector that was fried. which connects to another three yellow wires. And yes I think there is a high chance the stator is fried but my issue is even if I replace stator I still need to figure out how to fix that wire shortage. Ill attach a picture to make sure I'm describing my issue correctly

Thanks bro

Old 06-18-2012, 06:27 PM

That wire hanging down come directly from the stator. and to the right that plastic connectoris were that wire is supposed to go which is all corrosed out.

Attached Thumbnails 97 Blacbird1100xx Issues-download-1-.jpg  
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u want make easier for u to connect them , u should replace the stator and rectifier.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:34 PM

I would start by checking all of the fuses. You can still check your stator to see if its good without removing it. In this case, since it looks like both the stator and rectifier are damaged, I would just cut the wires from the white block on the other side and wire them all together direct. At least this way, you should be able to test the charging system. Stators either work, or they don't. But judging by the melted connector, it looks like the rectifier may have gone out and overheated the connector.

If you get it running again and hook up the wires direct, ( it shouldn't matter which wires go where. They can be wired in any series) measure your voltage at the battery at 4,000 rpms. If its higher than 15.5 volts, the chances are pretty good that the retifier is bad, but the stator is good. If its lower than 13 or so and gets lower as you rev the engine, the stator is probably bad.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 PM

Okay Just to make sure I understand correctly your saying to cut off the plastic connector and just hook up those threw wires all together. It wont cause a shortage or anything thing like that.