General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 600RR won't start when hot....help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 600RR won't start when hot....help

Hey guys need some help here is the issue and what I know.

Bike starts fine when it's cold. No problems at all. Once it's hot and i shut the bike off it will not start again. I hit the button and nothing happens, no noises, nothing.

If I use a jumper wire on the two big terminals on the solenoid the bike will start every time. So I figured a new solenoid will set it to rights. But after i replaced it im still having the trouble. I have a multimeter how can I test the solenoid to see if my new one is bad as well.

there is only 16000kms on the bike.

ty

Old 06-08-2011, 03:51 AM

Sounds like the problem is with the starter button or the circuit between it and the starter. If you can start it by shorting out the solenoid that rules out the solenoid itself I would say. Not sure why it is ok when cold though. Maybe something is losing contact (try the starter button) when the bike gets hot. Try by-passing the starter button to eliminate it. I'll keep thinking about this one and get back to you, unless someone else has any ideas!

Originally Posted by andmorse
Hey guys need some help here is the issue and what I know.

Bike starts fine when it's cold. No problems at all. Once it's hot and i shut the bike off it will not start again. I hit the button and nothing happens, no noises, nothing.

If I use a jumper wire on the two big terminals on the solenoid the bike will start every time. So I figured a new solenoid will set it to rights. But after i replaced it im still having the trouble. I have a multimeter how can I test the solenoid to see if my new one is bad as well.

there is only 16000kms on the bike.

ty

Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 AM

I'm still thinking that the solenoid I replaced my old one is also faulty. Does anyone know how I can test it to make sure?

Old 06-09-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by andmorse
I'm still thinking that the solenoid I replaced my old one is also faulty. Does anyone know how I can test it to make sure?
Here is the testing procedure for the starter relay from the Haynes manual:

At the starter relay, lift the rubber terminal cover and unscrew the bolt securing the starter motor lead; position the lead away from the relay terminal. With the ignition switch ON, the engine kill switch in the RUN position, and the transmission in neutral, press the starter switch. The relay should be heard to click. If the relay doesn't click, switch off the ignition and remove the relay and test as follows:

Set a multimeter to the ohms x 1 scale and connect it across the relay's starter motor and battery lead terminals. There should be no continuity. Using a fully charged 12 volt battery and two insulated jumper wires, connect the positive (+ve) terminal of the battery to the yellow/red wire terminal of the relay, and the negative (-ve) terminal to the green/red wire terminal of the relay. At this point the relay should be heard to click and the multimeter read 0 ohms (continuity). If this is the case the relay is proved good. If the relay does not click when battery voltage is applied and indicates no continuity (infiinite resistance) across its terminals, it is faulty and must be replaced. If the relay is good, check for continuity in the main lead from the battery to the relay. Also check that the terminals and connectors at each end of the lead are tight and corrosion free. Next check for battery voltage at the yellow/red wire when the starter button is pressed. If there is no voltage, check the wiring between the relay wiring connector and the starter button. If voltage is present, check that there is continuity to earth in the green/red wire with the transmission in neutral, the clutch lever pulled in and the sidestand up (note that there will be a very slight resistance due to the diode). If there is no continuity, check the other components in the starter circuit for continuity and cleaniness/tightness (my words!) Good luck!

Last edited by highwaypatrol; 06-09-2011 at 12:56 PM.