General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 cbr600rr coolant flush dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 08 cbr600rr coolant flush dilemma

Hey guys so i bought a new cbr 600 a couple weeks ago and first thing i did was changed the oil since the dealer i got it from knew nothing of the bike as it was a trade in (it was a car dealer ship, they happened to have a cbr) so a couple days ago i decided to flush the coolant .

i started by taking the bolt of the water pump and the hose connected to it as well-- after doing so i took of the radiator cap and it started to drain. coolant looked pretty nasty and smelled like fish so i assumed it was bad. i then put back the drain bolt and the hose and filled it up with distilled water, turned on the bike for about 5 min. turned it off, let it cool. and flushed it again. i did this process like 3-4 times until i seen a clear fluid come out of water pump drain to make shur it was nice and flushed.

i then proceeded to add the coolant i bought, its the regular honda one i bought at my local bike shop. i filled it up all the way, turned on the bike but did not put on the radiator cap until i bled the coolant. i blurped the throttle a couple times to make shur all the air bubbles came out and after doing so i put the cap back on and filled the reservoir to the high line (coolant reservoir has a low and high line which is located under the bike) i rode the bike to school and noticed when i parked it was spitting out all my coolant from the reservoir tank out of the overflow line. im not to shur why. i left it alone went to class and rode it back home around 2 hours later. i got home, parked it, left it running, and it began to spit it out of the same place again? their is now no coolant left in the reservoir tank and i am not shur if i should fill it back up again because i dont want it to spit it back out. is this normal?!!?! plzzz helppp

Old 04-24-2013, 11:59 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Have your radiator cap tested.

Probably best to just replace it. They are cheap and available at any auto parts store.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Have your radiator cap tested.

Probably best to just replace it. They are cheap and available at any auto parts store.
it dosent leak out of the radiator cap, seems to be fine from their. it keeps throwing it out from the overflow

Old 04-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

When a cap goes bad it won't hold pressure, then releases coolant into and out the overflow.

You can't tell by looking at it. Have it tested if you don't want to spend $10 and replace it.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:35 AM

Was the problem there when you drove the bike away from the dealers and did you ride the bike for a few days before changing the fluid? If the problem has just occurred since you flushed and refilled the system, although it could be the radiator cap, it sounds as though there is still air in there. Check or replace cap and if that doesn't cure the problem then try running the bike with the radiator cap off, but don't rev it and keep an eye on the reservoir level to see if it goes down, topping up SLOWLY if needed. Hope you get it sorted!

Old 04-27-2013, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by highwaypatrol
Was the problem there when you drove the bike away from the dealers and did you ride the bike for a few days before changing the fluid? If the problem has just occurred since you flushed and refilled the system, although it could be the radiator cap, it sounds as though there is still air in there. Check or replace cap and if that doesn't cure the problem then try running the bike with the radiator cap off, but don't rev it and keep an eye on the reservoir level to see if it goes down, topping up SLOWLY if needed. Hope you get it sorted!
Finally figured it out.. so this whole time i kept looking at why it was spilling out coolant and i couldnt figure it out. i took a break from messing with it, got back to it a day later and u wont believe what it was. so the hose coming down from under the radiator cap was connected to the overflow on the coolant reservoir and the "overflow" house was connected the bottom of the coolant. *-_______________- I feel so stupid lmao.

i appreciate the help guys. thanks

Old 04-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Thumbs up

At least you found out what the problem was, so no worries. Glad it all turned out ok and that you can go have some fun! LOL!