General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 600RR MAP sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 600RR MAP sensor issue

Need help/advice on what to do...
Just bought a used 07 600RR, 7100 clean miles.
Has a few mods, PCIII and a slip on 2 bros exhaust. Rode it hard for the first time today and it has a bogging down issue. It just never rips. Have to wait til 12k to get it moving.
Mind you, I just sold an 01 R1 with tons of midrange power. I know I am moving down a notch in power, but this is a little ridiculous. It never takes off, even when it should be in the powerband.

Anyway...I removed the PCIII and set it back to stock. When I started it up with kickstand down, the FI light comes on and blinks 2 times fast. I found that it means an error code for a MAP sensor.
I checked and rechecked hoses and fittings...all connected. Still get the FI light blinking 2 times fast. What is the next step in diagnosis of issue?
Also-would the PCIII hide any pre-existing issues?
Thanks for any assistance.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by sigma962
What is the next step in diagnosis of issue?
Also-would the PCIII hide any pre-existing issues?
Thanks for any assistance.
MAP senses airflow pressure as it leaves the engine, so that could be from quite a few things, including just a bad MAP sensor. Yes, the PCIII could hide the issue; it modifies your A/F mixture based on its mapping, which has the potential to artificially trick the MAP into thinking things are OK.

Are you able to disable the PC completely? The "stock" settings could be inappropriate for your bike and actually CAUSING the problem.

If it's not the PC, grab the service manual and follow the steps outlined for troubleshooting the MAP error.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:15 PM

Johnny-
the map sensor hoses are all connected...possible bad sensor after 7000 miles?
The PC is out of bike currently. The FI light came on after i removed the PC, not before. The PC was probably poorly done/mapped as it had zero grunt or power. I uninstalled the PC so I could run it stock and get a good feel for the original power and powerband.
I just should have reset it and remapped.

Running it in stock form with a bad map sensor...what negative ramifications will that have?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:23 PM

You're misinterpretting the error. It's not telling you your MAP sensor is bad, it's tellnig you that your MAP sensor is detecting that the pressure inside your manifold is dangerously inappropriate. While this CAN be caused by a bad sensor, it's rare for this to be the case. Something is most likely causing improper airflow, and you should start troubleshooting there. Is your air filter clean? Is there a small hole in your exhaust or manifold that would cause a drop in pressure?

How long did you let the bike run to let the ECU get used to the fact that the PC was gone?

Also, did you dyno your bike and have a custom map made, or did you just use a map for someone else's bike?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
You're misinterpretting the error. It's not telling you your MAP sensor is bad, it's tellnig you that your MAP sensor is detecting that the pressure inside your manifold is dangerously inappropriate. While this CAN be caused by a bad sensor, it's rare for this to be the case. Something is most likely causing improper airflow, and you should start troubleshooting there. Is your air filter clean? Is there a small hole in your exhaust or manifold that would cause a drop in pressure?

How long did you let the bike run to let the ECU get used to the fact that the PC was gone?

Also, did you dyno your bike and have a custom map made, or did you just use a map for someone else's bike?
didnt map someone elses bike...just bought it and the PCIII was already there. had no midrange at all.
I unhooked the PCIII and put it all back together except plastics and started it. Didnt leave the battery unhooked but for a minute to get the PCIII ground wire off. Should I have left it off longer to reset the ecm?

I just started it right up and it idled fine even with the FI light blinking. I havent run it on the street yet to se if it fixes itself.

I may reinstall t he pc3 and reset the box and use a standard map from PC/Dynojet. Thoughts?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:56 PM

Thanks for helping out. Looked at it again tonight...not at 1 am like last night. Found the hose to the MAP sensor was kinked, ran it over the fuel rail not under it. That fixed it!
Thanks.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:01 AM

Ha! Glad to hear you were able to work it out with no parts. That's always the most relieving solution.

Take the bike to a dyno, and have them make you a custom map for your PCIII. That's absolutly required. The "stock" maps are generic, and evey single individual bike has its own quirks that a stock map can not account for. I don't even know why they bother offering them.