General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 F4i dropped on left side--Won't start; oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 F4i dropped on left side--Won't start; oil leak

Hello everyone, first post here.

Some work was being done around the house last night, had to leave the bike on the driveway.
This morning it fell over after a hard rain (the ground had softened). Was on its side for about 2 hours.
Picked it up, held down the starter button, it cycled a few times and then clunked, now it wont cycle at all.

I've attached a few images for reference, it was leaking oil all around some of the casings (not sure what they're called).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_m...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_m...ew?usp=sharing

Old 06-21-2019, 11:04 AM

I should add that I flipped the engine kill switch on/off a few times, turned the key back and forth, and that the fuel pump always primes.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:16 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Check inside the airbox make sure cylinders not flooded before attempting to start again

Old 06-22-2019, 11:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sure sounds like you have a hydraulically locked cylinder. If you pull your spark plugs and crank the engine it will blow out whatever has you locked up. My guess is over the 2 hours your bike laid on it's side, oil probably seeped into one of the cylinders and when you tried to start it, locked it up. There are breathers on the valve cover, and if the bike is on it's side, the oil can reach those breathers and leak all over the place.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:41 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Took a while for an admin to approve my account so I browsed a few other posts
(only had a couple hours of internet at the library--house was disconnected) and got around to opening the stator cover,
then eventually made my way to the airbox. Sure enough it was full, maybe a quart of oil in the cylinders.
Siphoned all that out, wiped up, turned the throttle and there was plenty of oil underneath the gates or whatever they're called,
I must have turned the throttle when picking it up. Took awhile to clean up, the bike cranked after I charged the battery, even
sputtered to life for a bit but I quickly hit the killswitch and put everything back together.

Started the bike, little bit of smoke but nothing too heavy, but it sounded strange. Let it run for a bit while watching and then
eased it onto the road. Felt exactly like my old 500, realized I must be running on two cylinders. Had been at it for 24 hours
(literally) at this point.
Come back home, open everything up once again, and yep, I left two of the fuel injectors disconnected after I had pulled them.
Get everything back in place, working very slowly the whole time mind you, as it was my first time ever doing anything like this
--most i'd ever done was change oil.
Breathe a sigh of relief as I'm putting the final fairings in place, as I'm hunched over I look at the bike, and notice an opening where
the connectors for the injectors are plainly visible, and accessible without having to take anything off.

lmao.

In the end though the bike is running great. Maybe better than before because I figured I should change the oil.

Will come by again if I need anymore help. Thank you.