F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike won't start after wreck

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't start after wreck

Hello eveyone!
Anyways I basically laid my bike(2006 CBR F4I 600)over at about 50 m/h around a turn. I landed on one side and my bike landed upsidedown in a ditch next to me.
When I got it up right I noticed some oil leakage, but not much. My paint jobs was scratched up a bit, but not as bad as i expected it to be. Nohting was bent or anything.
Took the bike home and tryed to start it but it wouldn't turn over. Everything comes on fine when I turn the key on all my lights are there I can even hear the whirrling sound kick in. Yes, I made sure to check my engine cut off switch and the key was in the on position. I can hear my starter cranking, but the engine wont turn over. I even tryed to have my buddy help push start it, but when I pop the clutch my back tire locks up and the engine wont turn over. I checked my tip over sensor it seems fine. I don't know if my kickstand switch might have anything to do with this since it did land on that side. Oh and the oil leakage was minimal and I have oil in the bike and gas. Basically I really stumped and would like any help/ideas you guys could offer Thank You and Happy Turkey Day!

Old 11-22-2006, 11:42 PM
Default RE: Bike won't start after wreck

Well i would check to see if the battery had 12 volts, put the bike in neutral and see if it rolls, then i would check the kick stand switch mabe disconnect it and try to jump the wires so it thinks the kick stand is up, also check the clutch switch on the hanle bars mabe disconnect those and jump a wire between the factory connectors, then i would try to find some way to turn the motor over by hand to see if it is locked up, and look really good to see where that oil came from mabe the motor cracked somewhere where it fell over and caused it to lock up while it was still running. I have laid my bike over on both sides going faster than 50 but i have not lost any oil either time and both times the tip sensor shut my bike off and when i stood it up and turned the key off and let it sit for a few min it fired right back up and i had a lot of body damage. Hope this helps i know its hard to quess what it is when i cant see the bike myself so this is just what i would try.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:16 AM

You may have ended up with oil in one of your cylinders from the bike being on it's side.

Check out this thread as this was the cause of cbr_newbie's cranking problem:

CBR Forum Post

Pull all your spark plugs out and try to crank it over. If there's oil on top of one of the pistons it will blow out so have a rag handy.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:52 AM

ditto on oil in the cylinders
the oil won't let the pistons move which in turn won't let the rear wheel move when its in gear unless the clutch is pulled in

and watch the oil, that stuff shoots out EVERYWHERE
you'll probably need to charge the battery after running the starter, that **** drains FAST when running the startor
also when you get it back together and crank it make sure you've got a rag near the tip of the exhaust, cause its possible you'll have oil shooting from there too

Old 11-23-2006, 01:17 AM

Tip over sensor?

Old 11-23-2006, 01:19 AM

yup take out ur plugs and try to turn over =] that was my problem

Old 11-23-2006, 01:29 AM

O and just to warn you do this outside with a towel over your spark plug holes.. lolz trust me i learned this mistake inside my house... oil shot up my arm and on my face scared the **** out of me but im happy its running now =]

Old 11-23-2006, 10:04 AM

You guys are awesome gonna pull my plugs today and try it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:41 PM

OK after turning over the engine with the spark plugs out and eating some oil from the spray I got the bike to start! Now the other thing I noticed was there seems to be an excessive amount of smoke coming out of my exhaust. WHich is fine since it burning off the oil, but how long will I be getting the smoke does anyone know. I ran it up and down the street a bit and still smoking. Plus it seems like I have a leak somewhere, but not sure. Looks like I have some oil coming from where my slip on meets the rest of the exhaust. Is this normal since I had to blow out the oil maybe just excess?

Old 11-24-2006, 12:10 PM

There could potentially be a lot of oil in the exhaust system, especially if the valve train was holding the exhaust valves open on a cylinder when the engine stopped on it's side. Personally I'd change my oil and drive it until it smokes no more. You could pull your canister, midpipe, and header off and drag a rag through them as well.

How long was it laying on it's side?

Quick Reply: Bike won't start after wreck