F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

knocked over bike, now won't start and oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocked over bike, now won't start and oil leak

Hey guys, I leave my bike outside and I got out this morning to go to work and apparently someone had knocked over my bike. The fall broke the left mirror and scratched the fairing and frame. Now the bike won't start, and there is also an oil leak around the gas tank.

I don't have my toolset here with me (they're at my parents' house) but I will be borrowing a set tomorrow morning.

I'm thinking the bike is not starting because the battery is dead. When I try to start the bike, it does not crank and the lights on the cluster go out as I hold the starter button. I will get a jump tomorrow and see.

My question is, how is it possible that oil is leaking? I can't really tell where it is coming from since I don't have tools right now to remove the fairing and look under the tank. Could it be from something that cracked from the fall? Any ideas on this? This has got me really worried since I depend on my bike to commute to work everyday. Any help/input is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:08 AM
Default RE: knocked over bike, now won't start and oil leak

Your motorcycle is designed to automatically stop the engine and fuel pump if the motorcycle is overturned (a banking sensor cuts off the ignition system). Before restarting the engine, you must turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and then back ON. As for the oil question, I'm sure the other members will chip in soon, but I wouldn't worry that much if there are no cracks, you would only need to re-top it and see that it doesn't get expelled when running. Hope this helps.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:45 AM

+1 on resetting the bank angle sensor. Is your bike still leaking oil when it is upright? Or only when it was over? It's possible that as it was on the ground, the oil went out of the overflow tubes on the left side, thus appearing as if there is a leak. If the bike is upright and it is still leaking, you have a bigger problem.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the replies kukku and EHonda. How do I reset the bank angle sensor? I have obviously tried to turn on and off the ignition cut off switch but to no avail. It is showing symptoms of a dead battery. Cluster lights are all on when they key is in the ON position, but once I hit the starter, all the lights turn dim.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:02 PM

i think u gatta disconnect the battery and reconnect...then try to start

Old 11-08-2007, 04:28 PM

if it was dropped on the gear shifter side then the alternator/stator cover might have cracked. this can be the reason why you leaking oil. take off the fairings and have a look around.
its possible that your stator could have been damaged/mis alligned/disconnected after the fall and that will cause the bike to never start up.
also, because your lights dim, i really think you should change the batt and it really can be your stator.
if you hear the fuel pump prime than its def not the TIP over sensor.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:27 PM

+1 on cracked stator cover... they tend to take a lot of the impact from a fall (better than the fairings, I guess). It's a cheap part, like $50, then $10 for the gasket.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:13 AM

yea probably the stator cover like others said its like the first thing to hit if it falls on that side

Old 11-09-2007, 02:04 AM

Hmm Ok I took a closer look and it doesn't look like the stator cover is damaged too badly. It was scuffed up, but that's about it. There is oil coming from near the airbox underneath the tank, and I can see it trickling down, but it seems like it has stopped now that I put the bike back up.

Anyway, I charged the battery to 100% and it still will not start. It will click once if I hold the starter button and then it will start to buzz. Any ideas?

Old 11-09-2007, 09:50 AM
I ♥ CBRF

Sounds like oil probably got into your airbox. I'd pull the tank and clean out the airbox for excess oil.
The click is your starter and the buzz is your fuel pump. Your Bank Angle Sensorisnot the culpritor the fuel pump would not be working. Sounds like your not getting a spark. The plugs may be fouled from oil entering the top end.

Quick Reply: knocked over bike, now won't start and oil leak