General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 900 CBR Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justasquid
The reason its questionable is because when you are asking about a certain model, you are not giving the correct information. If you want help, proper information is key. They did not make a 900RR in 02. Your vin decodes it as being a 954 with the SC50. The SC50 IS a 954, NOT a 900. The 954 was not a package, it was the model. Such as cbr900RR is model, cbr929RR, is a model, cbr954RR is model, cbr1000RR is a model. The 954 is not a mearly an engine size, it is the model.

I don't think your trying to fool anyone, but honestly, you have a 954, not a 900. there is a huge difference between the two. Im only trying to help you by giving you the correct information, that for some reason, you don't want. This information will help you greatly when you are asking questions to others that live and breathe motorclyces. for example, you can go ask the same questions on this forum in the 954 section, since that is what you have.

The pictures come in handy, as by looking at the pictures, you can tell it is indeed a 954. The tail section is a give away. Look up any 900RR and you will see a huge tail section. The 954's tail is much smaller.

the reason your bank angle sensor sounds like it has water in it is because there is a pendulum suspended in oil. You are mearly hearing the oil inside the BAS. Again, if your fuel pump is priming when turn on the key, the BAS is not faulty.

Im really not trying to be a ***** here, but your really not listening to what people are offering to you. People on this forum are amazing at helping each other out with valuable information, but the information needs to be taken, not ignored.

Also, its hard to tell from the pictures. But it looks like the kill switch next to the left hand grip is either missing, or smashed. That would explain why there is not spark if thats the case.
I obviously came here for help not an argument about 3 numbers.All of what you just NOW posted could have been posted at the beginning of this thread replying to my first post.I stated I have no experience with these bikes and the situation,you knew I was just posting seeking help.Everyone here is way more experienced then i am.Why does that mean I'm not "listening" or im ignoring the help?If someone would have just taken the time to explain it like you just did that would have been it,but just saying"its an 954 not a 900" and nothing else forced me to google a bunch of stuff.That's not helping me.Neither is not getting my questions answered until a couple posts later in a bash.I understand you guys need information from me and want to help but i cant give it when I'm being told its not right and i also need my questions answered because I'm not gonna settle with "It just is a 954"I thank you for the help.

What i want to know:Okay its a 954,WHY does it say 02 900 rr directly on the Vin?How come I can find 02 900 rr in a Honda parts registry?Why when I google a 2002 CBR900 RR It shows my exact bike?And are you sure the tails are different?I've seen a bunch of pics and the exhausts look longer,tails look the same on both....

I'm sitting here laughing because your telling me the difference between the 2 YET I'm being told an 02 900 doesn't exist.Year aside,its already been stated its 2 different models.

And about the censor.....After reading a few things,and scoping part sites my dad ending up cutting open the sensor very carefully(without me knowing,he said he was gonna wait until i got more info,but....),that pendulum suspended in oil your referring to is broken.

Already know a new one is $75

Last edited by Smellslike1974; 06-28-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:59 AM

Maybe I came across too harsh. I didnt think I did, but I certainly did not have the intention of bashing you. If I did, I fully apologize to you. Typing on the internet can sometimes lead to misunderstandings, and this one is on my part, so I apologize.

What I meant by not listening,(in hindsight, I could have worded differently), was since the fuel pump was working according to a previous post, yet you were still asking about the bas again, after it was already said that it can't be the problem if the fuel pump was working.

honestly, I'm trying to help you, not harrass or make you feel not welcome, because you are very welcome to this forum. thats why 2 simple numbers do in fact make a huge difference when your asking questions concerning your bike that you are trying to figure out.The 900RR, 929RR and the 954RR will have 900RR on the vin tag, but they are very different models. Its something screwing that Honda did for reasons only they know. But, your bike is indeed a 954RR. Which for future research, can be very useful knowing what bike it is. Of course, the whole 900,954 thing may even be a state side thing. It can get quite confusing since your bike is called a 954RR here, but a Fireblade overseas, there are a number of different designations for models that are the same. But for asking questions on this forum, or any forum generated in the US, 954RR is the term you should use.

Back to your issue,

If your bas is bad since it was cut open. there is a bypass that you can do to it. There are 3 wire leading from the bas, make a jumper wire and connect the two outer wires of the plug that was plugged into the bas. This will bypass the sensor and you can tell if it was the bas. At the very least, it should allow the fuel pump to kick on when the key is turned on.

Im still curious as to if you have a proper killswitch hooked up to the handlebar?

Last edited by justasquid; 06-29-2010 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:44 PM

My dad fixed the sensor so we are good to go there but the bike still wont start.I just now noticed its showing an error.FI.Fuel Injection?The top part of the kill switch housing got broke off during the accident but the wires are wired together.

here's a video of it trying to start.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1558312877522#!/video/video.php?v=1558312877522

Old 07-03-2010, 11:03 AM

I just got back from talking to a Honda mechanical at my local Honda dealer.He said the 900's are the same bike as 954's,the 954's are a package that IS a model in itself.But Its the SAME bike.Which Is what I have been finding out all over the internet.I think the members of this forum needs to do a little more research before they try helping people and forcing false knowledge.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

im locking this thread because you are an idiot who doesnt listen