General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 900 CBR Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 900 CBR Wont Start

Okay,here's the story.The bike was stolen by our friends brother from his cousin.The brother dumped the bike,but id say its still ride able(ill find out here)We have been told the cousin is a,well not a nice person(brother isn't to great either..)...My friend bought the bike off of his cousin but upon getting it,it looked like someone took everything apart as if they were trying to get it started or something,but we are thinking the owner possibly could have sabotaged it so no one else could enjoy it.(you know the "If I can't have It,No one will"attitude..)So its now at our house to see if we can get it running.The bike got dumped and sorta hit a pole.(prior to us haven't it).Surprisingly there's not that much damage.We have been trying to get it running but it wont fire.The bike did flip,and have i done some research upon joining and posting on this here forum and i read some stuff about an angle censor?Could this be a possibility?where is this censor located,ill give it a few taps and try it again.lol

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Smellslike1974; 06-27-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:47 PM

What bike do you have? You posted an 02 900 cbr.. I don't know that one was ever made.

If the bike is not fuel injected, it does not have tip sensor,(Bank angle sensor).

Old 06-28-2010, 02:13 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

if its an 02"900" thenit would be a 954. which would be fuel injected. you need to give us alot more to go on. does it attempt to crank, do you hear a fuel pump prime..etc you came to th right forum fo help our members here our very knowledgeable but if we only have a few pieces we cant see the whole picture.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:56 AM

I just decoded the vin.

2002 HONDA

CBR900RR

VIN:
JH2SC50002M007594

World region:
Asia

Manufactured in:
Japan

Year:

Make:
Honda

Model:
CBR900RR

Body style:
Road / Street

Drive type:
RWD

Cylinders:
4 Cylinders

The bike cranks as If Its about to start but It never does.As far as I know the fuel pump turns on(my dads done more than I have to it,and if he didn't hear it,i wouldn't have made this thread)We thought maybe It wasn't getting spark because it doesn't want to fire.After troubleshooting everything we could we figured its something electrical which is out of out of our hands.The display isn't showing any errors or anything,but oil light is on.Could little stuff like that make the system not allow start up up?It has oil left in it,the light is just on.What Ill do Is later on tonight ill get my dad to try starting it and ill record with my camera.That will be waaay better then you guys trying to make a diagnosis with me giving the symptoms.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The oil light is on because the oil pressure is low since the engine is not running. It should go out when/if you get it running.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:22 PM

Its an rr,same deal.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 PM

Im really not sure what bike you have. they stopped making the 900RR in 1999, in 2002, it would have been a 954RR. Unless some weird thing in Asia took place. Even if they carried over the 900RR, they would have left it carbed, not fuel injected. If the bike is an 02, its more than likely a 954. Are there not any fairings on the bike? A picture of the bike would yield some better indentification as well.

Having said that. If your fuel pump is priming, its not the bank angle sensor, as that would have prevented the fuel pump from coming on.

As RJ said, the oil light is on because your key is on, and the bike is not running. Its perfectly normal.

My next guess would be the spark plugs. Pull the plugs and check to see they are firing. If they are, you can rule out electrical and start digging into the fuel system.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:01 PM

Just decoded your vin. It is a 954.

JH2SC50002M007594

The SC50 designates a 954. The 2, as you already know, designates the 2002 model.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:08 PM

I have looked the bike up all day and the 900 and 954 are the same bike,954 is just a package.So the bike IS a 900.Why Is It such a questionable thing?I already decoded the vin and It says its a 900.I don't get why everyone's saying its a 954,not on the bike.We have been to our local cycle shop and have confirmed its a 900 there also.The pictures aren't gonna help any its not like im trying to fool anyone.The plastics are off because they were all shattered and in the way.It says RR on the side in huge letters.....Somethings stopping the plugs from getting spark.the fuel pump is questionable.The angle censor sounds like there's water inside It or somethings broken.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:19 PM

The reason its questionable is because when you are asking about a certain model, you are not giving the correct information. If you want help, proper information is key. They did not make a 900RR in 02. Your vin decodes it as being a 954 with the SC50. The SC50 IS a 954, NOT a 900. The 954 was not a package, it was the model. Such as cbr900RR is model, cbr929RR, is a model, cbr954RR is model, cbr1000RR is a model. The 954 is not a mearly an engine size, it is the model.

I don't think your trying to fool anyone, but honestly, you have a 954, not a 900. there is a huge difference between the two. Im only trying to help you by giving you the correct information, that for some reason, you don't want. This information will help you greatly when you are asking questions to others that live and breathe motorclyces. for example, you can go ask the same questions on this forum in the 954 section, since that is what you have.

The pictures come in handy, as by looking at the pictures, you can tell it is indeed a 954. The tail section is a give away. Look up any 900RR and you will see a huge tail section. The 954's tail is much smaller.

the reason your bank angle sensor sounds like it has water in it is because there is a pendulum suspended in oil. You are mearly hearing the oil inside the BAS. Again, if your fuel pump is priming when turn on the key, the BAS is not faulty.

Im really not trying to be a ***** here, but your really not listening to what people are offering to you. People on this forum are amazing at helping each other out with valuable information, but the information needs to be taken, not ignored.

Also, its hard to tell from the pictures. But it looks like the kill switch next to the left hand grip is either missing, or smashed. That would explain why there is not spark if thats the case.

Last edited by justasquid; 06-28-2010 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 02 900 CBR Wont Start