F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Yet another problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't mean to highjack...When my bike is well heated and warm/hot...If I shift into neutral at a light to stretch...I have to literally mule-kick/stand on the F'in shifter to get er back in 1st Should I be worried? Only happens when shes warmed/hot

Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by R Dub
This past Saturday me and 3 of my buddies went for a 200 mile cruise. When I got home everything was great besides how dirty the bike was from the rain storm that we got caught in. Yesterday I get on it to go to work and I notice this weird sound. The sound is a rhythmic rattling sound that only happens when am slowing down with the clutch engaged (lever out) As soon as I disengage the clutch (pull the clutch in) the sound goes away. It doesn't make the sound when maintaining speed or accelerating and it doesn't happen when I am in N at a stop light with then clutch engaged. Everything on the bike feels that exact same. Any thoughts as to what can be causing this?
It could be that the chain is loose, but unlikely. You would probably hear it most if not all of the time. The chain could be going bad, if it is not too bad you may not hear it at high speeds/RPM and you are only noticing it at low speeds/RPM. Again, unlikely since when you engage the clutch the sound goes away.
If you want to check your clutch: with the bike off, put it in first gear, pull in the clutch, and bump the start button. You do not want to start the bike... If the bike lunges forward you can pretty much say that your clutch is bad.
My opinion is that, either your clutch cable is bad or needs adjusted. It sounds like your clutch is partially engaged all the time, that is what your hearing. How much play is there on the lever?

Old 09-28-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober
Don't mean to highjack...When my bike is well heated and warm/hot...If I shift into neutral at a light to stretch...I have to literally mule-kick/stand on the F'in shifter to get er back in 1st Should I be worried? Only happens when shes warmed/hot
Check your oil level. What kind of oil did you use on the last change and how long has it been? Also, try moving the bike forward or backwards before shifting into or out of gear.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by bleheny
Check your oil level. What kind of oil did you use on the last change and how long has it been? Also, try moving the bike forward or backwards before shifting into or out of gear.
Oil was changed less than 1k ago, 4qts of Mobil 1 Racing MT40 synthetic, through the window glass the oil looks clean...I will try the moving next time thanks

Old 09-28-2010, 09:14 PM
October 2011 ROTM

If you want to check your clutch: with the bike off, put it in first gear, pull in the clutch, and bump the start button. You do not want to start the bike... If the bike lunges forward you can pretty much say that your clutch is bad.
My opinion is that, either your clutch cable is bad or needs adjusted. It sounds like your clutch is partially engaged all the time, that is what your hearing. How much play is there on the lever?
So today when I was rolling up to a light with the bike in gear and clutch pulled in and give it a little rev it felt like the bike would lunge forward. I will try this just to make sure. Thanks Bleheny.

BUT!!!!!!! I was oh so close to buying a brand new 600RR Phoenix edition, 0 miles on it. The dealer even went as far to take the plate off my bike and put it on the new one. It would be $8500 and they would give me $3500. I would put another $3K down which would make the payments $85/months. What do you guys think. Should I do it?

Old 09-28-2010, 09:30 PM

So today when I was rolling up to a light with the bike in gear and clutch pulled in and give it a little rev it felt like the bike would lunge forward. I will try this just to make sure. Thanks Bleheny.

BUT!!!!!!! I was oh so close to buying a brand new 600RR Phoenix edition, 0 miles on it. The dealer even went as far to take the plate off my bike and put it on the new one. It would be $8500 and they would give me $3500. I would put another $3K down which would make the payments $85/months. What do you guys think. Should I do it?
I would inspect and replace/adjust the clutch cable. They run about $15 from Honda. Let me know if that doesn't fix your problem and I will move on from there.

About the 600RR... Is the F4i you have paid for? If so, you just have to decide if you want a payment or not. It's only $85/month, but for how long. Saying that, I would probably go for it myself but I wanted to add a sensible opinion... Good luck, and post pics if you end up picking it up.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober
Oil was changed less than 1k ago, 4qts of Mobil 1 Racing MT40 synthetic, through the window glass the oil looks clean...I will try the moving next time thanks
How is the level? If you used 4 quarts then you overfilled it and that is your problem... It should be at the top line in the sight glass, if it's over that you need to drain it so you are level with the top line.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dub, you say you got caught in a rain storm right? When's the last time you cleaned and lubed the chain?

Old 09-28-2010, 09:41 PM
October 2011 ROTM

About the 600RR... Is the F4i you have paid for? If so, you just have to decide if you want a payment or not. It's only $85/month, but for how long. Saying that, I would probably go for it myself but I wanted to add a sensible opinion... Good luck, and post pics if you end up picking it up.
Yeah the F4i is paid for. It is nice not having a payment but having a new bike with a warranty would be nice to especially knowing all the issues that my F4i has giving me. If I do pick it up I will post pics for sure

Old 09-28-2010, 09:44 PM

Yeah the F4i is paid for. It is nice not having a payment but having a new bike with a warranty would be nice to especially knowing all the issues that my F4i has giving me. If I do pick it up I will post pics for sure
I don't know the history with your F4i, so I would say if you don't mind the payment go for it.

Quick Reply: Yet another problem