F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Where to get new header pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get new header pipes?

'05 F4i with PCIII and a Yoshi TRS Race carbon-fiber slipon. I want to go to a full exhaust, but I would like to use this can if possible. Can I just get a new 4-1 header pipe and attach this can to it, even if it means slightly modifying the mid-pipe?

I would hate to have to spend a grand on an all new system just to get a new header and the same basic can that I already paid $450 for.

Any idears?

Old 07-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Default RE: Where to get new header pipes?

your not really going to find a good solution
full exhaust systems are made for racing, and to get more performance they have larger diameter tubes. Even if you modified the midpipe to fit the larger diameter of the exhaust, think about what you just did. Your shoving the airflow that you freed up by buying the new headers into the same restricting canister. Chances are your can is closer to legal than the can that would come with a full system would be, which means it constrics airflow. It is possible that Yosh's full system for the F4i uses the same diameter pipes as stock but that also means that compared to other systems it sucks so your not really getting the most performance for your $.

Your best bet is to sell the slip-on and buy a full system (a good one)

another option is to not worry about the full system. I'm a track addict and getting into racing and I've still got a crappy Devil slip-on with no intention of replacing it with a full system. Personally I think there are better ways to spend your money. You'll barely notice that extra 4 or 5 HP on the street. in fact if you don't live in cali you can rip out the emissions stuff and gain about the same HP as upgrading from a slip-on to a full system and it doesn't cost anything.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:38 AM

Hmmm... You do not think that I would notice an extra 5hp? To me that seems somewhat significant, a 5% increase in power. Or is it simply because that gain is seen on top that I won't notice it as much?

Would a decent full system add more HP on top, as well as maybe move my peak power higher up in the rev range? Son instead of 100HP at 12,700rpm, I might get 105hp at 13,100rpm?

Would a full system and BMC filter also help the engine rev faster?

I don't mind spending the money if there is some tangible benefit.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:51 AM

i'm not a tuner but I do believe most full systems raise the peak HP in the higher RPMs and I think they have been known to soften the HP in the lower RPMs

I've never really researched them though so I could be way off

the way I see it though your spending a grand or two and at the end of the day if you have it dyno tuned and mapped you might have as much HP as a stock 06 600RR and almost definitely not as much as an 06 R6 or GSX-R600

The F4i is a great bike but the new bikes are just incredible and are only going to get better. This year if you spend a grand to give you 5 extra HP great you may be near what a newer stock 600 has, but next year the stockers will be faster so you'll spend another grand trying to keep up. and so on. Seems like chasing your tail to me, its never gonna end.

anyway if HP is what your looking for and you've got the cash then go for it, its not gonna hurt anything but your wallet

on a side note if you haven't done a trackday yet, I'd suggest spending your money to try that. WAY better than an exhaust imho