F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Weird noises?

Old 11-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noises?

Hello everybody!

I hope I'm not being excessively paranoid, but I managed to reduce the number of weird noises my bike makes to two (well actually three, but one of them is the CCTL - so that's ok because I know what causes it ). So:

1. When I put the bike in neutral and I release the clutch, there is this really low growl or rumble. I can also feel it in the brake rearset. If I press the clutch, it disappears. I found an older post but I don't remember any explanation for this. Do you know what it may be? I suppose it's something to do with the clutch... should I worry?

2. The front brakes. When the bike is cold, at speeds under 25 km/h (um... 15 mph) the front brakes squeak. I think it's probably the rotors touching the brake pads, because it gets faster with speed and above 15 mph it disappears altogether. Also, once the brakes warm up, it doesn't do this anymore. The brake pads are ok, altough they may be a little old (haven't replaced them since I got the bike one month ago) - but I don't think age should be a factor with brake pads - am I right? Anyway, the bike brakes ok, I'm just wondering if I should replace my brake pads or anything.

Thanks!!!
Dan

Old 11-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Default RE: Weird noises?

ORIGINAL: dannutz

Hello everybody!

I hope I'm not being excessively paranoid, but I managed to reduce the number of weird noises my bike makes to two (well actually three, but one of them is the CCTL - so that's ok because I know what causes it ). So:

1. When I put the bike in neutral and I release the clutch, there is this really low growl or rumble. I can also feel it in the brake rearset. If I press the clutch, it disappears. I found an older post but I don't remember any explanation for this. Do you know what it may be? I suppose it's something to do with the clutch... should I worry?

2. The front brakes. When the bike is cold, at speeds under 25 km/h (um... 15 mph) the front brakes squeak. I think it's probably the rotors touching the brake pads, because it gets faster with speed and above 15 mph it disappears altogether. Also, once the brakes warm up, it doesn't do this anymore. The brake pads are ok, altough they may be a little old (haven't replaced them since I got the bike one month ago) - but I don't think age should be a factor with brake pads - am I right? Anyway, the bike brakes ok, I'm just wondering if I should replace my brake pads or anything.

Thanks!!!
Dan
NOISE 1: you may try loosening the clutch cable ever so slightly to give it just a few mm of play......

NOISE 2: if you park the bike outside, the sqeaking may bejust a small amount of rust collecting on the rotors, its common if you are in a colder humid area, or warped rotors....

Old 11-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) I was thinking clutch drag or chatter. It's drag if the bike moves forward a bit with no brakes in 1st...but then again that would be quiet. So let's go with the other one

2) Check your pads. Sounds like normal caliper drag. You could be highly sensitive to it....being new and all to the bike

Old 11-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Retired Moderator

It's like having a new baby. It is easy to hear things wrong that are normal issues .

Old 11-26-2007, 03:00 AM

Thanks everybody for your replies.

I have the clutch lever adjusted so that it has some 10-15 mm of play already. It's not clutch drag, because the bike does not move... what can be done about clutch chatter then? What causes this? Do I have to replace the clutch or can I just live with it?

Regarding the warped rotors issue - some people have told me that the rotors are supposed to not be _entirely_ straight, because the pads normally touch the rotor even when the lever is depressed and the rotors need to be just a little wobbly (think fractions of mm) to be able to push the pads away when they're not needed - is this total bull or does it makes sense? I do park the bike outside - and it is kinda cold here (about 35 fahrenheit) - so maybe rust on the rotors it is (although they look clean, and I ride the bike every day - would rust collect overnight?)

Old 11-26-2007, 03:32 AM

i have the same noise problems as you...with the clutch and the brakes in the same situations...with the brakes making the noise when its cold and disappears later on...the temperature here has been varying from about 45 at night to about 60 in the day...but it makes the noise more often at night..i dont know what the problem is or how to fix it...but i just wanted to let you know that ur not the only one with these noises! haha

Old 11-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the wobbly rotors sounds like bull... think high speed braking and what pushing away pads would do...

Old 11-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a little run-out. It's not by design, but there is a factory tolerance spec for it. Ideally the rotors should be flat, but it doesn't happen in reality.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:19 AM

Mine has the same clutch noise. On a car this would be an early sign of a failing throwout bearing. The clutch throwout bearing allows the clutch actuating arm to push against the clutch which is spinning at engine speed. The arm pushes against the bearing, which pushes the pushrod through a hole in the input shaft against the clutch diaphragm spring. The spring and the pushrod spin at engine speed, and the bearing isolates that movement from the actuating arm which obviously doesn't spin. On a motorcycle I don't pretend to know how the clutch works so I don't know if this noise means the same as on many cars I've had. Sure sounds like it though.

My noise is barely noticeable. I'll take it in to the dealer in the spring and get it checked out though.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:00 AM

Ok so I've been doing a some more braking, this time from higher speeds (40 mph) and I definitely have whirring in my brake lever. What is this? Warped rotors? Do I have to change them?