F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Using The Engine Kill Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turning the kill switch on, at least when you're sitting still (like before you start the bike) will prime the fuel pump. during that time the FI light is on. if you are moving and turn the kill switch on then the bike will start right away (like push starting or "bump starting" or whatever a manual transmission car, same thing) but i would imagine the pump is still in 'just put the kill switch to on prime the pump' mode and the FI light would be on a for a little bit. sounds normal to me.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:14 PM

FYI...the owners manual says it should only be thrown "in an emergency"

Old 08-04-2010, 05:49 PM
July 2008 ROTM

It will slow down, similar to a down shift but less smooth and will slow down faster. Not recommended, but not gonna blow you up.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Xander F4i
FYI...the owners manual says it should only be thrown "in an emergency"
does it say "only in an emergency" with regard to throwing the switch while moving? when coming to a stop the MSF teaches to kill the engine using the killswitch because it allows you to keep both hands on the bars. it is safer than reaching up and turning the key.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:46 AM

I decided to play around with it today and hit it when I was parking, rolling straight to a stop. Not very jerky, but you'd definitely know if you hit it on accident. Without any help to move the chain you decrease speed very quickly.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Captlombardi
does it say "only in an emergency" with regard to throwing the switch while moving? when coming to a stop the MSF teaches to kill the engine using the killswitch because it allows you to keep both hands on the bars. it is safer than reaching up and turning the key.
The MSF is a great program but some of what is taught is the instructor's opinion, not gospel. For example during my ERC the instructor insisted i use 4 fingers to brake. He insisted that with 2 on the throttle and 2 on the brake i wouldn't be able to brake fully because my fingers would prevent me from closing the lever... yeah, maybe back in the 70s

In this specific example you can do like most of us do: drop the kickstand to kill the engine. I would never recommend using the killswitch while moving except in a emergency.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:16 AM

The only time I would let the clutch out while moving with the motor off, is to push start it. Will the engine blow up? No. But it can't be good for the motor.
Take note of some good advise...
If your doing 20mph in 6th gear chances are good it will just coast along. If your in 1st you'll probably lock the tire.
I always use the kill switch to turn my bike off. That way I can turn the motor off, hold in the clutch so I can leave it in gear, and hold the front brake. Just the way I always do it.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:44 AM

In your owner's manual, or at least in mine, Honda recommends that you pull your clutch in when you use the engine kill switch while travelling at speed. Although some may have had good results and weren't thrown from it, why not play it safe and pull your clutch in?

Old 08-07-2010, 07:31 AM

I know the MSF teaches using the kill switch....being that's how I started out riding. Which created a habit of using the switch. But given the fact that the owners manual says not to use It regularly, but only in emergency, I've been trying to break the habit.

The MSF also get bikes replaced every so often...at which point I think they need a fair bit of work to be put back on the road.