CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Using The Engine Kill Switch (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/using-engine-kill-switch-114747/)

programit 08-03-2010 09:40 PM

Using The Engine Kill Switch

This may be a stupid question but I am wondering what happens when you are in gear say maybe riding at 40 MPH and hit the engine kill switch with the clutch out. Will your bike smoothly coast to a stop? It seems like it should but my reason for doubting is that when you park your bike you leave it in first gear so it won't roll very far. So what will happen when you hit the switch with the clutch out at speed? Will you coast or come to an abrupt stop?

joeroberts 08-03-2010 09:56 PM

Ever down shifted to slow down?
The Motor well act like a brake and abruptly slow you down.

Eventual 08-03-2010 10:01 PM

I killed my bike with the key going 20 with the clutch out and it basically sounded like an engine tryin to turn over without a fuel pump.

Kuroshio 08-03-2010 10:18 PM

Bike won't coast in gear with the clutch out

Zero1080 08-04-2010 03:26 AM

I've hit it before. Search. This exact thing was asked. By me IIRC.

If you're moving, do you really think Honda said "Yeah, let's throw them over the front of the bike" and made the switch easy to hit with your thumb?

It's as if you just pull the clutch in. I've hit it and not even realized it till my throttle "wasn't working"

canhead64 08-04-2010 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Zero1080 (Post 953653)
I've hit it before. Search. This exact thing was asked. By me IIRC.

If you're moving, do you really think Honda said "Yeah, let's throw them over the front of the bike" and made the switch easy to hit with your thumb?

It's as if you just pull the clutch in. I've hit it and not even realized it till my throttle "wasn't working"

same here. it just cuts the ignition and you stop as if you let off the gas... very confusing while going down the road i might add, until you realize, oh god, i'm an idiot i hit the kill switch. it happens though.

Krux 08-04-2010 07:37 AM

LoL been there done that with my F2

boredandstroked 08-04-2010 12:42 PM

It CAN lock up the rear tire. Same thing as downshifting for a corner and getting rear end chatter, only now your not even adding idle amounts of fuel to the engine or firing the plugs so you get more compression braking. If your doing 20mph in 6th gear chances are good it will just coast along. If your in 1st you'll probably lock the tire.

brveagle 08-04-2010 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio (Post 953591)
Bike won't coast in gear with the clutch out

Umm, yeah it will....

crashking 08-04-2010 01:53 PM

I hit the button today went to give gas and realized that the bike was off(coasting )all i did was turn it backi on and she fired right up and on my way

but my f1 light did come on for a split second after i hit it ,is that normall does your f1 light come on when you hit the kill switch while moving?