Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 06:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: turbocharging f4i

^ +1

Old 06-06-2007, 01:36 PM

Turbo lag is way over rated. I can tell by a lot of these posts, that most of you have no experience with a turbo car, and go by what you hear. Funny how the only people that ever bring up turbo lag are people that have never had a turbo car. It sounds like he wants his bike to be a street cruiser, but mainly a track bike, since he mentioned the track a few times.

Why did everybody try to make him out to be a moron for wanting to turbo charge his bike? And whoever had the friend with the car that SLIGHTLY cut his 1/4 mile time down by putting on a turbo, laugh at him, because HE is a moron. How in the hell do you lag that bad before 4k? He did something wrong, probably in installation, AND in choosing the right turbo for his application.

If you want to turbo it, I say go for it, just do your research and find the best turbo for what you need, or talk to an expert. Turbo's are all around great.

Don't see why he got hated on so bad.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: 01600F4i
Guy comes in here and says "Hey, I want to turbo my light and nimble 600 because almost nobody does it. I want to do something different. I want a challenge! ... Now can someone tell me how to do it to make it as easy as possible?" Honestly I thought this was a joke thread... Really, go back and read hisposts in this thread, gems like:
leave the boost on like 3lbs and its like having nos all the time and you get the cool sounds.
if the nos runs out in the middle of you hittin the button it will still shoot the gas and the ing timing will still be redarded
if you dont want to leave positive feedback then you are a hater and dont have a meclanicly inclined bone in your body.
if i slip the clutch a little so it will act like a stall converter to get the boost up.
And my personal favorite!
whats everyones problem withturbos are you all scared little girls or do you have some *****!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:02 PM

agreed.... if you do it , i want to see.. but i dont think that you will. Good Luck

Old 06-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Banned

Turbo lag is way over rated.
I gotta disagree. I drove a modified turbo porsche and this motherf**ker was downright unruly when the bitch came on boost. If you were in a turn and this thing spooled up you would real have to have your A-game on to control it. In no way, shape, or form did it make sense to me to have a car that was that hard to control on the street. Granted, this thing was an animal, claimed 500+ Hp, but the turbo lag and the violent power delivery was really crazy. I wouldn't want that in a bike, but a smooth, usablepower delivery would be great. Then again, i'd buy a literbike, but that isn't why this thread is here, is it?

Old 06-06-2007, 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: 01600F4i

Turbo lag is way over rated. I can tell by a lot of these posts, that most of you have no experience with a turbo car, and go by what you hear. Funny how the only people that ever bring up turbo lag are people that have never had a turbo car. It sounds like he wants his bike to be a street cruiser, but mainly a track bike, since he mentioned the track a few times.

Why did everybody try to make him out to be a moron for wanting to turbo charge his bike? And whoever had the friend with the car that SLIGHTLY cut his 1/4 mile time down by putting on a turbo, laugh at him, because HE is a moron. How in the hell do you lag that bad before 4k? He did something wrong, probably in installation, AND in choosing the right turbo for his application.

If you want to turbo it, I say go for it, just do your research and find the best turbo for what you need, or talk to an expert. Turbo's are all around great.

we dont understand turbos and there over rated?

the biger the turbo the longer the spool time and i miss spoke its was in the 1/8 not 1/4 i dont know why i wrote 1/4 and there was significat gains in the 1/4 not from going for the hp gains he got. i do understand the principles of turbos and i did have a car with a turbo. the longet the larger the turbo and the smaller the engine the longer the spool time becuase your using your exhaust to spill and impeler to which on the other side sucks air in and forces it to the engine. by increasing the size of the turbo hemade it harder for his ehaust to spool the turbo for one of 2 reasons. reason one the mass the exhuast is moving is larger second the the blades on the side that are sucking are in are grabing more air hence why he lost 1/8 mile times and he where he was geting good bost at 3k he was reaching till 4k. so dont preach that i dont know what im talking about. there is more to just "slapin" a turbo on and going.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:37 PM

my only real concern isn't really turbo lag, but more the effects when the turbo does start to push.. i've driven an sti for awhile and when the turbo kicks in at about 3500 rpm, trust me, you feel it... I'd be worried about it kicking on in the middle of a turn and spinning your wheel.. but in the same note, it's kind of a moot point... you're pretty much gunna HAVE to put a smaller turbo on your bike just due to the size limitations, and smaller turbo = faster spool.... prolly around 2500 or so for any turbo that'll fit well on a f4i... now, how often does anyone ride below 2500 rpm.,much less take turns at that speed... hell, how often does anyone ride below 3500 rpm? damn near never except when you're stopped... therefore, the boost from the turbo will kick in waaay before cruising speed and you dont have to worry about it coming on when you dont expect it too....

sorry, this kinda evolved into a bit of a ramble... but i think you'll get the point.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:29 PM

boost controller.... It its concerns like this that makes a turbo installation so complicated. There are so many tuning factors involved to get things right where they need to be. on a bike, a wastegate and a boost controller would be very handy so that you could set the amount of boost you get at certain ranges of the throttle. 600s already come on like a raped ape above 9000 RPM, a correctly set up turbod 600 would be a chore to ride in the higher RPM spectrum. But in the case of being concerned that the bike will become uncontrollable in a corner... wastegate and boost controller will help the hit be a more modest one

Old 06-10-2007, 05:16 AM

Well to all thanks for your feedback. I love how some of you chop apart my post to find little things to make me seem like a moron. I think you all will be suprised when I put the videos on here, it is coming togher good at this point in time. I have had a slue of turbo cars in my time, and can assure you all I know what Im doing. I did not get any new info, I knew everything everyone has told me (no offense I appreciate everything). I wrote this post to see what everyone would say. Unfortunately there are ALOT of arrogant posters on here. Just a bunch of flaming, I think you all will be greatly suprised here in about a month and a half. Until then I'm out

therabbit: Get a life, stop analyzing other poster's comments. I'm a joke, HAHAHA I'm glad I'm here to entertain you buddy..

If I remember correctly the tortoise outran the rabbit.. now thats funny HAHAHA jackass

Old 06-10-2007, 05:26 AM

I like the idea bro, keep us posted if i was car and bike savy id do something along the lines of turbo... Post up some pictures when you are finished