F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

turbocharging f4i

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: turbocharging f4i

I don't know... it just seems so much easier to get a 1000 or a Busa. There's no way that won't be enough power for you oranyone else for that matter. I don't know why I feel the need to say this, but be careful.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:23 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

think about it this way.. why would somone bother turbo charging a 1.6 sohc vtec civic? they already have the car so why not to the best they can with it. basically its the same idea they shouldve bought a type-r but you cant always afford it so you gotta make due with what you have.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:32 AM

ORIGINAL: HAVOC

think about it this way.. why would somone bother turbo charging a 1.6 sohc vtec civic? they already have the car so why not to the best they can with it. basically its the same idea they shouldve bought a type-r but you cant always afford it so you gotta make due with what you have.
This is what I have been trying to say all along. lol.

I found this website, so far so good. Thanks again
http://www.turbo-bike.com/index.html

Old 06-05-2007, 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: F4iT

a light and nimble turbo charges f4i? when did i ever put it like this
You should check post number 5. Your exact words were, "just imagine the power of a 1000 on a light nimble bike like the 600."

If you want the fellow riders of this forum to take you seriously, you should watch the insults. Calling people scared little girls and infering that they don't have ***** is not the way to be taken seriously.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:42 AM

i never said you shouldnt do it bro i just thought your reasoning that you told us was a little odd like you had a lot of misconceptions. i could understand why you want to its neat to do things that many people havent done. just be carful there was a guy on a car forum im part of with a custom built lightning and he for got to hook something up on th bov took it out for the first run and litterly blew the whole engine apart.

havoc i never knew you could run a turbo with out a blow off vavle. i thought the whole reasoning be hind this was when you run reall high up and the turbo is still forcing a lot of air into the engine and now your at a low rpm the air is going to get jamed in there unless you have a blow off so it lets the excess air bleed off. you dont need thisfor a supercharger becuase itruns atthe crank so it is always matching the engine speed but since a turbo runs off air it lags behind what the engine isdoing.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:30 PM

If you're running less than about 5lbs. of boost- a BOV isn't really necessary- the force isn't strong enough to damage an engine.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: 95camaro01f4i

havoc i never knew you could run a turbo with out a blow off vavle. i thought the whole reasoning be hind this was when you run reall high up and the turbo is still forcing a lot of air into the engine and now your at a low rpm the air is going to get jamed in there unless you have a blow off so it lets the excess air bleed off. you dont need thisfor a supercharger becuase itruns atthe crank so it is always matching the engine speed but since a turbo runs off air it lags behind what the engine isdoing.
yep you sure can. take a look @ greddys bolt on system that is C.A.R.B legal in all 50 states. it doesnt come with an FMIC or a BOV and is able to run perfectly fine.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:38 PM

Actually the reason for a BOV is what's called compressor surge, which happens when you're building boost and suddenly close the throttle.Basically the wave of pressure from the turbos exit *slams* into the closed throttle plate and *bounces* back into the intake, the pressure wave continues back and tries to enter the exit on the compressor, which would force the compressor to spin the opposite way, but the turbine is still spinning the correct way, so you get a lot of torque on the compressor/turbine which can ruin bearings very very quickly, and in extreme cases break fins off. One of the side effects of a BOV is, like you said, it allows the turbo to continue spinning and pushing air by giving all the extra air a place to go (AKA a bypass valve), which will help with spool times on large turbos. But on bike turbos, which are typically smaller the spool time is negligable, the only reason you would want a BOV is for the cool noise it makes and to give some extra life to the turbo's bearings.

Also, like someone else said you really don't need an intercooler on a bike. The main purpose of the intercooler on turbo'd cars is to act as a heat sink for the hot compressed air, it absorbs heat from the air, and then slowly expells it to the atmosphere. Without getting into a big debate air-to-air intercoolers aren't really intercoolers as much as they are heat sinks, which is why BIGGER is better (people getting front mounts) it gives you a much larger heat sink to absorb heat before it becomes heat soaked, which is why when people dyno their cars after getting front mounts the only gains they see are from the freer flowing design, but running at the track or on the highway you see a much larger gain. The only true intercoolers are the water-to-air variety, which would be competely impractical on a bike. So my point is, you can get an intercooler if you want, but in all likelyhood you're not going to see much of a gain from it because it will have to be small and cramped and it will heat soak quickly.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:45 PM

^ good explaining

Old 06-06-2007, 01:50 AM

in my opinion, a bike shouldn't carry a turbo unless it's a drag bike. turbo's are prone to lag, which is something you don't want on a street-bike. who cares how much horsepower you have, if it's not streetable, it's useless.