F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Troubleshooting: Bike starts, but won't run

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting: Bike starts, but won't run

Hello CBRForum,

This is my first post, but I've read a good amount here. I searched for my problem but couldn't find anything.

To keep the story short, I was hit on my bike (01 F4I) about 3 months ago. After the crash, the bike would start and run fine. I have not been riding it primarily due to a a broken right foot control--no peg or brake lever.

Anyway, the bike has been sitting but I would start it here and there because I don't want to let it just sit. All of a sudden, it wouldn't start due to the fuel pump not priming. First time was due to tip over sensor disconnected, then later due to battery dying.

Now with that new battery and sensor attached and upright, the bike will start up, warm up at about 2k rpm just like it used to, and then drop to around 1,100 or so. It sounds a little low to me but the bike will keep running. After letting it warm up a bit, if I give it any gas at all (I roll it on smoothly) the bike will rev up like it should but as soon as I let go of the throttle the engine dies.

What could be causing this? I don't even know where to start checking for problems. I have let it run about 15 minutes before touching the throttle and it just runs at 1,100 rpm no problems.

Thanks for the help!
Robert

Old 11-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

What kind of damage was there to the bike ? Do any codes show up when it dies ?

Old 11-28-2013, 09:39 AM

The only damage I have found was on the right foot control of the bike. Everything else seems to be in tact, minus all the fairings.

I did not notice any codes showing up when it dies, but I will check again tomorrow and post back what I find out. The codes are basically differentiated by how many times the mil light blinks, right?

Old 11-29-2013, 06:37 PM

You might try adjusting the idle, on the left by the shifter there is a **** I don't remember
which way to turn it to raise the idle but should be easy to figure out. Don't turn it to much
it can become disconnected.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you remove your air box at any point recently?
It sounds like the map sensor is acting up (or the vacuum supply or vacuum line to it has failed.) or the engine might be losing vacuum (affecting the map or general engine performance) from a loose vacuum line. If the sensor is not failing it won't set codes (they sometimes don't even when they are at fault but it is rare). I would check the vacuum line that goes to the map sensor. The map sensor is located on the bottom left of the air box, a small vacuum line headed towards the bottom side of the throttle bodies. This line can be pulled off while servicing if you aren't watching and have the air box loose. there is a single electrical plug to it as well. The only other item that would (electrically) commonly cause this is a failing throttle position sensor but is very rare and almost always sets a code. Check the map and let us know if that doesn't cure it we will gladly help. There is a connector on the left side of the bike under the air duct that causes a host of erratic problems, i have seen several people install tip sensors that weren't faulty, and ignition switches / kill switches (which do fail) trying to fix the problems like yours that originate from the gray connector I am talking about. Check your map and vacuum hose, or just replace the hose because it could be blocked inside and you can't see it. Try to retrieve any codes. Go from there.

Last edited by Bryce Swartzwelder; 11-30-2013 at 05:44 AM. Reason: uhh yah i forgot stuff
Old 11-30-2013, 08:05 AM
"A"
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Fuel regulator valve maybe clogged if you still have old fuel or residue in tank.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the help guys!

I will check the map sensor and vacuum line. And I will double check for any codes coming up. I will have some time to look at the bike tomorrow.

It's strange because after the accident, the bike was running fine. I tested it as soon as I got it home and also started it once every 2 weeks or so and let it run for a little bit without any problems. And I have not pulled the tank, touched the air box, or done any servicing to any part related to the engine.

I strongly doubt it would be the fuel regulator valve but I will be checking out all of these things and reporting back.

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 AM
"A"
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Fuel regulator may be a long shot, but if your accident dislodged some residue or derbies in the tank and it gets sucked into the fuel regulator... that can easily clog up the fuel regulator/fuel line, injectors... etc..

Old 12-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said you wrecked on the right side right? What about a damaged kill switch? They have been known to cause trouble from time to time. Did the right bar take a strike on the end?

Old 12-02-2013, 03:48 PM

The right bar likely took a strike. Somebody made a left in front of me, so the bike went right into their car. After hitting their car straight on, I couldn't tell you what happened to the bike, but the right frame slider was destroyed and so was the rear set. The bar end and lever are scuffed up, but don't seem like they took major impact.

Anyways, I'm reasonably sure the kill switch is not having any issues.

Actually, I went to test the bike today and keep an eye on the mil light, but the bike started no problem, ran perfectly with no hesitation and it would not stall. Everything did exactly what it was supposed to. It's like when you take the car to the mechanic and it won't exhibit the problem it's having.

But I feel confident that I don't have any problems. The bike was running fine up until the battery gave out. I think these brief problems I experienced were due to the tip over sensor. It is not mounted because the fairings are off, so it basically just dangles and it's probably what was causing my problems.

Thanks for all the help! I'll report back if any problems pop up, but hopefully you don't hear back from me on this issue.