F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Need more stopping power!!!! Need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more stopping power!!!! Need suggestions

Hey guys, first off I'm new to the forum, but not new to riding. I just got me a 02 F4i about a month and a half ago. I love the bike!!! But when I was out over the weekend doing some aggressive riding on some really curvy back roads, I noticed that I did not have have near the braking power that I needed. My previous bike was a 01' GSXR 600 with some nice mods, one being the GSXR 1000 front brake assembly. Rotors and calipers. Stock was a 4 piston caliper and 1000 had 6 piston Brembos. That thing would stop like crazy. But the F4i just doesn't have enough. I was thinking about getting some Galfer Super Sport rotors, stainless lines, and some new pads. But, can you put like a 600rr front wheel or a 1000rr front wheel with the bigger calipers on a F4i. Going fast is great and all, but you gotta be able to stop. Any help would be appreciated. I'd love to know if anyone has done a 1000rr swap.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:26 PM
"A"
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to forum.

Are the existing brake pads and rotors in decent shape?
How old are the brake fluids?
How old are the brake lines?
All the above contributes to braking performance, much less expensive to maintain OEM item so they perform prerly than mod to something that's not original.
Personally, I feel the F4i have plenty of stopping power, even at spirited pace.

As "Snuffy" Smith once said: Brakes, who needs them, they only slow you down.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:16 PM

along with the steel braided lines and new ebc brake pads i would suggest a new master cylinder, or just a lever that would extend in.
i have enough to two finger it using the stock calipers/pistons/master, but have thought if i put a little more leverage on the lever by changing its fulcrum it would be better.
maybe everything the same and just a bigger master cylinder more juice pushed through, ebc brakes and SS lines still, cause im not sure they make a lever that allows more leverage

Old 10-14-2013, 01:04 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

If you can't stop the bike enough with a stock setup then something is wrong. I can run A group pace at the track on my f4i with all stock [besides the stainless steel line] brake setup and that includes pads. Im sure part of your braking problem is how easy it is to bottem out the forks on the stock front end.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
If you can't stop the bike enough with a stock setup then something is wrong. I can run A group pace at the track on my f4i with all stock [besides the stainless steel line] brake setup and that includes pads. Im sure part of your braking problem is how easy it is to bottem out the forks on the stock front end.
I would have to agree with bored and stroked, adjust your suspension properly, or change springs if needed.. Change pads. I run stock honda pads as they last longer than many ebc sintered pads. Note that i have had to rebuild the master cylinder on one due to an intermittent squishy brake feeling.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:44 AM

How hard was it to rebuild your master cylinder? I'm thinking of doing that to mine or just getting a new aftermarket one just because I have to apply a lot of pressure at the lever to get some serious stopping power.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:09 AM
"A"
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you tried bleeding the brakes first?
Does the brake level require long travel before brake activation?
Air in brake hose or old brake fluid can result in poor braking performance.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:18 PM

[QUOTE="A";1255024]Have you tried bleeding the brakes first?
Does the brake level require long travel before brake activation?
Air in brake hose or old brake fluid can result in poor braking performance.[/QUO

I have bleed the brakes, but I didn't completely flush out the system of old fluid. It does require a lot of travel before I get the brakes to activate I'm just not sure if its the master cylinder or maybe I need stainless steel lines. I changed the brake pads like two months ago and I checked my pads about a month ago and they were fine.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

You know the stock lever is adjustable right? It will affect the feel I've noticed.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bryce Swartzwelder
I would have to agree with bored and stroked, adjust your suspension properly, or change springs if needed.. Change pads. I run stock honda pads as they last longer than many ebc sintered pads. Note that i have had to rebuild the master cylinder on one due to an intermittent squishy brake feeling.
I also want to now how did you rebuild your master cylinder, i have the same brake feeling...

Quick Reply: Need more stopping power!!!! Need suggestions