F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too good to be true?

i found a guy offering me a 99 CBR F4 for $1900
he says mechanically its great and it has a few scuffs that he is supposed to take pictures of and send me in the morning.
He lives 5 hours away. This deal sounds too good to be true so what should i do to make sure its a good deal?
Is there anything to prove its a good deal before i make the drive? I know one thing i have to do is be willing to leave it even after i make the drive but id like to be able to tell before i leave cuz a 5 hour trip for nothing doesnt sound too fun in a truck that gets 11 mpg.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Banned
Default RE: TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE?

Whats the mileage?

It sounds like a good deal to me. Considering the time of year, age, obvious scuff marks and possibly high mileage.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:02 PM

14,xxx miles
my bad i forgot to put that.
so far it sounds legit we've exchanged about 4 emails and hes got right back to me everytime.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 00 F4 last May for $3000 delievered from Athens, GA to Dalton, GA. 36k on it w/ a missing mirror, bent brake lever, various scuffs/rash. Had new Pilot Roads on it, runs like a champ.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

I bought my 00 F4 last May for $3000 delievered from Athens, GA to Dalton, GA. 36k on it w/ a missing mirror, bent brake lever, various scuffs/rash. Had new Pilot Roads on it, runs like a champ.
So do you think its a good deal? or that its legit?

Also know one is givin me any tips on how to feel the situation out and see if its legit before i get there.

what can i do/say to see if this is for real?

Also, playful... how much $ and time did it take to do the seat conversion. My ideal bike is 01-03 F4i, but at this price i cant pass this up, so what did it take you to get the split seat converted

Old 01-23-2008, 10:41 PM

Meet halfway.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: bergs

Meet halfway.
+1

Get the vin# from the guy and do a check to see if it has a salvaged title or not. 14k miles is nothing. Hell honda's are just getting warmed up then.
I would make sure you look it over real well. Sometimes these deals that seem to be to go to be true, usually are.

Good luck. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:28 PM

wow sounds like a good deal. Just make sure you test it out before you buy

Old 01-24-2008, 01:53 AM

you never kno tho... 14k miles? sounds kinda fishy... for all you know the guy could have busted a "thirdgen" and reset the trip meter by going beyond 100k. have you actually spoke to the guy on the phone? you can definitely tell if he's an honest guy once you hear his voice/pitch/tone/how confident he sounds to your questions/etc... sounds like a sticky situation. if worst comes to worst then just ride it out until another good deal comes along cuz never say never when it comes to another good deal. i've found a crap load right after i bought my f4i brand new. boy what a bummer that was... well good luck w/ the decision! keep us posted

Old 01-24-2008, 03:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: G3NESYS

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

So do you think its a good deal? or that its legit?

Also know one is givin me any tips on how to feel the situation out and see if its legit before i get there.

what can i do/say to see if this is for real?

Also, playful... how much $ and time did it take to do the seat conversion. My ideal bike is 01-03 F4i, but at this price i cant pass this up, so what did it take you to get the split seat converted
I think its well worth checking it out.

Well I got lucky n had a very young n honest college student. His dad was making him sell it. He provided very good pix of the bike n its damaged areas. When I met with them to lead em to my house I started it up n it fired right off. No rattles or ticks, nor smoke. I took alot of risk with mine n thank good it paid off. Your better off going to see it first hand b4 paying a dime.

Now on the tail conversion. I think I ended up with about $700 to do it. Now thats minus selling my old parts, which the subframe hasnt sold yet. And I still need to get it painted. Think some have done it for a bit cheaper. Time to actually do would be a afternoon at most if ya have all the parts on hand. It prudy much a simple bolt job. Remove the nana seat tail, bolt the split seat sub on. Now I switched to a F4i rectifier, if you stick with the F4 one ya need to make sure its mounted nice n flush so the heat can dispestate(sp?) in the subframe. I didnt n fried my battery n rectifier.

You'll need a complete 01 - 03 F4i tail,subframe, tail fairing, both seats, battery tray or undertail w/ battery tail builtin to it. Tail light, passenger pegs, n a few speciality bolts. Mainly the rear tank mounting bolts. On the 01 - 03 F4i the rear tank bolts act as supports. Without them you risk cracking the fairing. The frankenstein bolts or opinional, n they cost about $15 a peice lol.

Good luck n let us know how it goes.