F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Tire advise...Michelin pilot road 2ct

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by andymp3
Cool..just to clarify..by the edge you mean the sides? The sides..not the middle...will wear faster than the powers? I spend a lot of time on the sides of the tires so I hope these roads do the trick...
The sides of the road 2 are the same compound as the pilot power, they will wear the same. The center is a harder compound then the power. A power 2ct is power center and even softer edges.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
The sides of the road 2 are the same compound as the pilot power, they will wear the same. The center is a harder compound then the power. A power 2ct is power center and even softer edges.

Cool...I do like the dual compounds even if they are more money...You answered my question in regards to the outer compound. I was wondering if they were the same as the power. This should be a great tire and i should get the best of both worlds....Like i said i do a lot of highway, twisties and doubling so this should serve my purpose with great efficiency...Thanks and i will keep you all updated on how they were and how i like them...

Old 05-22-2009, 01:46 PM

I've rode on the Pilot Power, Pilot Power 2ct and now I am on the PILOT ROAD 2. I will not go back to any of the other tires again! This tire lasts long. I usually commute, but hit the twisties after work and on the weekend. Grips great and lasts long. I was pissed when I bought the Pilot Power 2ct, those wore down with the quickness. Pilot Road 2 is the most expensive of them all, but well worth the money.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by HELLA
I've rode on the Pilot Power, Pilot Power 2ct and now I am on the PILOT ROAD 2. I will not go back to any of the other tires again! This tire lasts long. I usually commute, but hit the twisties after work and on the weekend. Grips great and lasts long. I was pissed when I bought the Pilot Power 2ct, those wore down with the quickness. Pilot Road 2 is the most expensive of them all, but well worth the money.

That is the news i wanted to hear. I honestly hated Michelin after putting on the pilot power. It had squared off after 600miles and was done by 1200 miles. I was not the only one...Most of my friends were getting 2000 miles at the most...I took one more chance after hearing goods things about the road 2 and hope I get the same results as you.....

Old 05-22-2009, 04:20 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Man I've never heard of the Pilot Power (normal or 2CT) wearing down in 2,000 miles. I dunno what kind of riding your friends are doing, but that seems very uncommon. Tell them to stop doing burnouts.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:11 PM

I really think the roads play a big factor. Most bikers are getting 4000-5000kms on their pilot powers. So that's around 3000 miles...sorry I may have been a bit low...I just grabed a calculator to figure out the miles..Bloody metric system...wish the US and Canada shared the same system......Anyways...still low compared to what you guys and girls are getting...The roads are bad...I mean real bad...I will take pics of our city streets sometime...Some roads are nice however they only last 2 years and they are full of pot holes and what not...Again frost, winters just ruin our highways....I wish I lived in Florida or Miami....! Thanks and have a good weekend. I can't ride this weekend. I just got out of the hospital and can't see out of my left eye...I was cutting the lawn with a wipper snipper and got something in my eye....Scratched the cornea...I have to take it easy for a few days...This sucks!!!! I hate being all gimped up!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 05:23 PM

I was going to go with 2CT's but went with the Conti Road Attack's. Just scrubbed them in and went for my first real ride on them today. All I can say is the grip like hell and feel absolutely great. Hope to get 5-6k out of them. I'm never on 1 wheel for long so I should be able to meet my goall.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You said, you are "a firm believer of you get what you pay for." However, your case, it may be more of a situation in which you-get-what-you-give thing. Meaning, you're going to get prematurely worn tires if you abuse them or don't care for them properly.

Andy, having sold tires for a living, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to tires. If you're only getting 1200-2500 miles on tires, regardless of brand, you are doing something wrong...or not presenting us w/ the full story. I'm not calling you out but there is something wrong here. In my experience, if tires aren't lasting longer, there is simply a problem somewhere...whether its rider negligence or abuse, its generally rider-related fault.

If the tires "squared-off" as quickly as you mentioned, then you are not a well-rounded rider...in that, you are doing a lot of heavy rear breaking that induces slide, "wheelies" as you mentioned, spinning the tire or burnouts from that "hard on the throttle" you mentioned, ... & very little in the way of true twisties...to keep those tires round.

I don't mean to lecture you but instead, educate you. You have to understand that tires aren't designed to take abuse w/o care...& expect to get mega-mileage out of them. Simply put, if you continue to ride like you described, on any set of tires from any brand, you will experience the same wear...period. If you've got money to burn on tires, then by all means, go for it! Otherwise, if you're looking for genuine tips on tire care, do some homework & learn. I just want you to understand the difference btwn tire wear & tire abuse, & what you can expect from both.

All that having been said ;-), I/m currently running PP2CTs on my 2000 F4. I've used them for at least two track days, daily commuting, & wknd canyon/twisty rides. I've got 6k on them right now, w/ good even wear & life still left in them.

Good luck to you.