F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

For those of us without a stand!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nothing wrong with that approach. That's still infinitely better than the guy wanting to know if he could just "gently" lay the bike on its side while he took the wheel off.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it'll cost you a little bit more money, but i know cycle gear has a stand that you dont need posts for, its an adjustable, universal fit stand for 35 bucks. and you pay it once but you never have to mcguyver anything again. not worth risking something really bad happening if you were to put it on its side, or as a result of some kind of ghetto rigged stand. just buy the stand man

Old 04-12-2011, 01:44 PM

Attach a decent u bolt on a door frame or ceiling joist, get your strap all ready on the triple tree, use a car ramp or fab a piece of decent plywood. Place ramp under u-bolt then roll bike onto ramp, stop in gear, attach strap and pull the ramp from under the front tire. Use some common sense with a 400lb bike and you will be fine. You dont need to go up very much.

Using a jack under the header will work also but you really need to have a way to stabilize the bike when its up there. A couple of 2x4s wedged somewhere. Take off the fairings.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:51 PM

everyone should have a rear stand for his bike.. if you cant afford it you shouldnt have a bike..

Old 04-12-2011, 01:59 PM

I bought a pr of stands off ebay for $50. Many here said they would fall apart but they havent I put up a pic here

Old 04-12-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by oxyg3ne
everyone should have a rear stand for his bike.. if you cant afford it you shouldnt have a bike..
here we go again....i'm so sick of seeing someone say this.

you obviously come from money and have no idea what its like to not have any. some of us scrimp and scrape and save for money to get a bike and finally get one we have no extra cash and have to figure out cheaper ways to get things done then people who have an excess flow of cash. i have two kids and a wife and i'm the only income coming in. i needed the tire changed, and didn't have an extra $50-$100 to get a stand. so until you spend some time being poor, you really can't relate.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by pittsm
here we go again....i'm so sick of seeing someone say this.

you obviously come from money and have no idea what its like to not have any. some of us scrimp and scrape and save for money to get a bike and finally get one we have no extra cash and have to figure out cheaper ways to get things done then people who have an excess flow of cash. i have two kids and a wife and i'm the only income coming in. i needed the tire changed, and didn't have an extra $50-$100 to get a stand. so until you spend some time being poor, you really can't relate.

+1. i mean i know i said you shouldn't ghetto rig a way to lift your bike, but im not about to agree with someone talking about *if you dont have a stand, dont have a bike* thats kinda rediculous. we're not all stacked with cash. if you dont have a stand and want something done that requires one, suck up your pride and either pay someone to do it, or buy a damn stand. but dont ghetto rig your bike in the air with ratchet straps, drywall, and hooks...

but to finalize this, i agree with you dude. thats kinda rediculous to say.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Originally Posted by madman
aren't you in the UK? why doesn't your bike have a centre stand, sir!?
Here here. All this talk of stands, straps, rafters, jacks. Any of you going to have one of these items when your tyre goes flat on the road.
Just get a centre stand fitted and move on with life. Fashion over functionality gone mad if you ask me.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:02 PM

oh you crazy foreigners. dont you know? in america everything is vein. everyone cares about nothing more than aesthetics.

heh....tyre....

Old 04-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Yeh! We's all so crezzy in foreign place. Wudda we know?

Quick Reply: For those of us without a stand!