F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

For those of us without a stand!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of us without a stand!

I need to change my tires and i dont have a stand. I cant just put it on the forks because then it will hit the fairings. And I dont wanna go through taking off the fairings. So would it be alright to put it down on the frame slider for a little bit? The only problem I see is the fluids. Oil, Gas, Coolant, etc. I think those would be the only ones that are a question. So just to restate, is it alright to lay it down on the frame slider for maybe a couple hours?

Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 AM
July 2010 ROTM

why not just raise it from something above it with straps or a winch or something, the slider may work, but it may not hold for very long.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Banned

I'll be the first person to say it...

Just buy a stand!!! Its not worth potentially scratching up your bike.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:05 AM

like vangill said use some ratchet straps and go to a tree or rafters in the garage....I use ratchet straps and works great everytime

Old 12-08-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by vangill
why not just raise it from something above it with straps or a winch or something, the slider may work, but it may not hold for very long.
I have done that with my mx bike and the hooks i used aren't strong enough to hold this. Don;t have any heavier duty ones and dont feel like going to buy some.
Originally Posted by kazspeed
I'll be the first person to say it...

Just buy a stand!!! Its not worth potentially scratching up your bike.
I know for a fact that I dont NEED a stand. that will also cost another $50 I don;t need to spend.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:20 AM

I think that idea has bad news written all over it. What about something stacked up under the center where the headers are? I'm not sure that will work, but have heard of people doing it. I definitely wouldn't suggest laying your bike on its side for hours.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:22 AM

So is anything going to get messed up if i lay it on the slider? Im not worried about the slider or the paint.. yeah i thought bouth that and figured id stand it back up with some blocks of wood under the forks when i get it off. then just plop it back over and throw it on when i get the tire back

Old 12-08-2010, 12:05 PM

Let's calm down here peeps... No need to get too upset...

As for the slider, it might work, and is something that if you want to try then go ahead and do it. I'm not real sure on how steady it will be, and I would be super careful...

When I did mine we stacked wood blocks underneath the headers and it was fairly stable that way... Be forewarned, it is a pain in the *** with only two people doing it so if you are by yourself I wouldn't recommend this way. (We didn't have a jack so we had to literally pick the bike up just high enough to get the front wheel off the ground.) And if you are going to be changing the rear wheel, I definitely wouldn't recommend this way.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:17 PM

I have a small jack i didnt even think of using. I already have the calipers off and the axle nut and the other bolts that hold the axle. I mean it will take like three seconds. to take the axle out and take the wheel out and stand it back up

Last edited by samras121; 12-08-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:23 PM

Definitely not a good idea. You will get fluids where they shouldn't be. I think someone here had filled their cylinders with oil because the bike was left on its side for some time. Not to mention that it will likely be unstable, and can easily cause cosmetic damage. I'd buy a stand. It will do what you need it to do, and you will end up using it again and again.

However, I once used a jack and a board to lift the bike up from the headers. It held for the 2 days I needed it to. Looking back, I would in no way ever do that again though. Way too much at risk.

Quick Reply: For those of us without a stand!