F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

For those of us without a stand!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a stand, it will be perfect for what you want to do.

Last edited by nick_; 12-08-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pull the side fairings, and jack it with a 2x4 under the oilpan, running crosswise, then jackstands on each end of the 2x4. Or 2 2x4's one down each side of the header, and a jackstand there.That's what I did from this point, cause I had to replace my steering bearing and races, so the front stand had to be removed.

you mentioned the overhead hooks - use ratchet straps on them to stabilize the bike without actually supporting them. If they'll hold a MX bike, they can manage helping out - a 250cc dirtbike weighx in the 200-250 lb range, that's about half your bike's wet weight.

Otherwise it sounds like you've gotten the info you need, maybe not what you were looking for. If you're still waiting for one person to say "yeah, you'll be fine" and ignore all the others that are actually showing concern, then your mind is already made up anyhow. good luck.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by samras121
I have done that with my mx bike and the hooks i used aren't strong enough to hold this. Don;t have any heavier duty ones and dont feel like going to buy some.

I know for a fact that I dont NEED a stand. that will also cost another $50 I don;t need to spend.
You may in fact NOT have the $50 to spend but you do need a stand. As the post clearly shows lol.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:36 PM

You WILL have oil/coolant mixing and leaking into the airbox. this is a BAD idea.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by samras121
no, im not going to stop being tight, nobody i know has one, its more expensive to take it to a shop, and thats what i was asking. you could have just said yes, there is a chance they will mix. thanks for being a dick. I never did like brits. you mean the thirty seconds it takes to gently put it on the slider then take the wheel off then lift it back up on some wood like i said i was going to do the post before this? I wasnt going to just say ok and let it fall, the frame does have strength ya know.

What the hell, has being a brit got to do with it, Its my language you are writing in! English.

If you spend like $30 - $50 dollars now it will save you a fortune in the end,
with no hassles and you wont have the thoughts in the back of your mind did it cause such and such is that noise new . etc etc. ?

You could even lend them to your other tight friends and maybe even charge them and make money back.

You appear to be the type that expects it all for nowt and then windge that it dont work or it broke, if you were in England I would lend you mine if you were that skint that you had no dollars.

With the kind of attitude you have displayed, part of me wants it all to come falling down and break, but you are a biker and no matter what we stick together,

Old 12-08-2010, 02:51 PM

well said wiz

Old 12-08-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Monkeh
well said wiz
cheers

but on another serious note,

look for posts like this ,
https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/went-down-bike-wont-crank-now-118968/

I know with an MX bike they can be laid down, but the mx is a differnet beast with small internals and it is designed to be laid down,

Last edited by wizard; 12-08-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Official Welcome Crew

Santa just brought me a trex rear stand.. gold anodized and all.. for the money $70 it is well worth the peace of mind.... jmo... not knockin you...

Old 12-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

OMG this post is classic.
Heres how it works: If you want to bring just rims to the shop, you buy stands and take them rims.
If you don't have stands, you take them the bike and they take the rims off for you.
OR
you do the hillbilly idiot way and lay the bike on the side and end up causing lots of damage to everything.
I suggest you look into option #1 or #2. If you don't and go with option #3, please post pics and a price list of everything that gets damaged.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I'm gonna clean up this thread a bit as some of the replies are unnecessarily harsh.

Simple response "No, this is a very bad idea" and why would have sufficed y'all.

Quick Reply: For those of us without a stand!