F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

For those of us without a stand!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wizard
What the hell, has being a brit got to do with it, Its my language you are writing in! English.

If you spend like $30 - $50 dollars now it will save you a fortune in the end,
with no hassles and you wont have the thoughts in the back of your mind did it cause such and such is that noise new . etc etc. ?

You could even lend them to your other tight friends and maybe even charge them and make money back.

You appear to be the type that expects it all for nowt and then windge that it dont work or it broke, if you were in England I would lend you mine if you were that skint that you had no dollars.

With the kind of attitude you have displayed, part of me wants it all to come falling down and break, but you are a biker and no matter what we stick together,
alright. being a brit doesnt have anything to do with it, just a little irritated. I apologize. thank you for th help. I didnt realize it before but there is angle iron that holds up the garage door, i put my ratchet straps on there and it lifted it just fine until i could get some wood under the headers. Than lowered it a little that way the straps were just holding it upright.
Originally Posted by boredandstroked
OMG this post is classic.
Heres how it works: If you want to bring just rims to the shop, you buy stands and take them rims.
If you don't have stands, you take them the bike and they take the rims off for you.
OR
you do the hillbilly idiot way and lay the bike on the side and end up causing lots of damage to everything.
I suggest you look into option #1 or #2. If you don't and go with option #3, please post pics and a price list of everything that gets damaged.
Well my friend did it and absolutely nothing was damaged. He bike was fine. I at least asked. Ive worked on mx bikes a lot but not so much on street bikes. so everybody who has ever done this is a hill billy and an idiot. that's a little ignorant.

Last edited by samras121; 12-08-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:42 PM

Actually it is kinda the hill billy way. And yes I can say that as I live in hill billy country. However, I have been there, done that, nothing went wrong, but I realize that it all could have gone wrong and then I'd be out not only the $$ I spent on my bike, but the money to fix it and my garage. I spent $50 on a front stand at cyclegear. Is it the best stand? No, but it gets the job done and I have used it more than I ever thought I would. It was a great investment. If/when I got some money again, i will probably spring for a different type of front stand than what I have now. Overall, I'm glad it worked out for you without incident.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:51 PM
July 2010 ROTM

mx bikes r different than streetbikes, esp when working on them

Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by vangill
mx bikes r different than streetbikes, esp when working on them
i know. thats why i was asking.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since things have chilled out here's my take: A stand is extremely useful for proper maintenance of your bike. Right now you hit the issue of replacing a tire without one. But basic chain maintenance (cleaning & lube) goes sooo much faster without having to move the bike every 30 seconds to rotate the chain. Replacing the chain / sprockets and even oil changes.

You can get a very basic bike swingarm stand from Harbor Freight for about $40. And adapters for that stand that'll lift the front by the forks for another $10. I wouldn't use it for long term storage but definitely worth it for bike maintenance.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NRWhiteKnight
Actually it is kinda the hill billy way. And yes I can say that as I live in hill billy country.
Ahhh someone who understands.
You only get offended by my hillbilly comment if your embaressed by what you do. I too have been a hillbilly. When I shimmed my rear shock I used a cherry picker to hold the rear end off the ground. Not the safest way to do it but it worked.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm all about the "ghetto rig". But shell out for stands for sport bikes, it's saved me countless headaches. Also, jack stands on mounting points seem to work really well actually.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
. When I shimmed my rear shock I used a cherry picker to hold the rear end off the ground. Not the safest way to do it but it worked.

Doesn't a cherry picker cost more than a stand ?

Now surely that is a hill billy thing to do, yup I bought a $1000 cherry picker rather than a $30 stand, way to go Bubba J !

and yes I do like Jeff Dunham ! and Nas car and drinkng beer.

Samras121,

I am glad you got it sorted, no harm done and no appology needed, I am a bit jealous that I am in the UK snowed in and some folks have nice weather 365.

Last edited by wizard; 12-09-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i myself just had to replace seals in my forks and needed to take the whole front end apart so i used one of the ools i have to do that and it is an engine hoist/jack..now i know alot of ppl dont have those handy but maybe a friend might or so..it worked just as good as a front fork would..and for the back before i got my pitbull stand i used jack stands and they seemsed to work good too..it may be hillbilly or ghetto but if it gets the job done than thats all that matters..

Old 12-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by wizard
Doesn't a cherry picker cost more than a stand ?

Now surely that is a hill billy thing to do, yup I bought a $1000 cherry picker rather than a $30 stand, way to go Bubba J !
LoL Im sure it would have, except I've been building engines for many years and had the cherry picker, therefor zero cost outlay!

Quick Reply: For those of us without a stand!