F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Tail Fairing Issues - Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Tail Fairing Issues - Cracking

theres sumtin else you can check too. On the split seat tail the rear tank bolts are suppose to have a big flat head that the weight placed on the seat. If these bolts have been replaced with other bolts besides thoses intended for it the tail will crack.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used super thick foam to replace the stock foam. this was so thick that it actually made contact with the tank. helped alot...they cracks did come back but nowhere as severe as before (just little hair line from the paint).

it must've been my thighmaster.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

theres sumtin else you can check too. On the split seat tail the rear tank bolts are suppose to have a big flat head that the weight placed on the seat. If these bolts have been replaced with other bolts besides thoses intended for it the tail will crack.
Tell that to xuracing! haha.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: 808HondaLife

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

Tell that to xuracing! haha.
well I agree that the side bolts need removed for that lil number too lol.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Yep, the big bolts are there with rubber washers underneath. The stock foam, although present,was mis-shaped and not doing its job.

Speaking of thighmasters, there's unused exercise equipment in the basement which will be donating the foam.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Incognito

Yep, the big bolts are there with rubber washers underneath. The stock foam, although present,was mis-shaped and not doing its job.

Speaking of thighmasters, there's unused exercise equipment in the basement which will be donating the foam.
the foam in the seat has nothing to do with it. Any pressure from your legs and knees should be on the tank. I have pix of what I am referrring to somewhere... here are what the bolts pose to look like:
Name:  S6300182-1.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  68.1 KB
Name:  S6300183-1.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  62.1 KB

but basically if the seat is putting pressure on the fairing, then most likely the rear tanks bolts arent the correct ones. That is if the cracking is from riding and not raising the tank as illustrated previously.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:15 PM

the foam in the seat has nothing to do with it. Any pressure from your legs and knees should be on the tank. I have pix of what I am referrring to somewhere... but basically if the seat is putting pressure on the fairing, then most likely the rear tanks bolts arent the correct ones. That is if the cracking is from riding and not raising the tank as illustrated previously.
I was referring to the foam between the fairing and the gas tank which keepsthe plasticfrom coming into contact with the tank (thus rubbing against it). The seat's fine.

Also, it's only when I'm straddling the bike, with my feet on the ground, that my thighs push against that part of the bike. When in the riding position, it's not an issue.

On the top picture (above), where the fairing comes in contact with the tank, there's a small piece of foam there. On mine, they were bent towards the rear, and not working effectively. Probably from someone raising the tank without undoing the bolts. LOL
Also, I guess my in-seam is not long enough. [sm=smiley24.gif]

Old 11-05-2008, 04:26 PM

Hey PlayfulGod - Sorry I was in a hurry to get to work (computers eat up alot of time!), but anyways... As I was saying before, the mounting brackets are all good; they look identicalto the picture.
Really appreciate your help - Thanks [sm=type.gif]

Old 11-05-2008, 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Incognito

Hey PlayfulGod - Sorry I was in a hurry to get to work (computers eat up alot of time!), but anyways... As I was saying before, the mounting brackets are all good; they look identicalto the picture.
Really appreciate your help - Thanks [sm=type.gif]
must be the thigh master thing then [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

NP I try to help when I can