F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Sudden hard knocking, dies at idle. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with proper research you can find everything you need to do the job more affordable than you would believe...
you have to search all your option amazon ebay craigslist babbits online..
you can find amazing deals

a engine can be built affordable... BUT it depend on the type of person you are

see i am the person that will crack the engine open and check the bearings seals clean the head/valves and pistons on the new engine... so i would be opening a engine up no matter what.

so when i spun a bearing on my f4i i went ahead and performed a rebuild ...
currently in the final stages of the build and it is stressful as hell. thinking did i torque this did i torque that .. did i take that measurement right... double triple checking things....

so what kind of person are you ???? you going to just drop the engine in or you going to open it up???? if your not going to open the new one up then you might as well buy a engine.... cause if you would take the time on the new one why not spend it on the old one.. my frame of mind

take the time to research the parts and what kind of downtime are you willing to experience....

so me personally i went to rebuild what i have...
you buy the engine get it over with i just think you could find a better price
on the engine

let me find the thread i think there is a guy on here still selling one i will edit it if i find it

here you go https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-wante...needed-143504/........ guy post he had one for sale from AL he doesn't have the minimum post needed but i contacted him nice guy affordable price worth checking with him.... talk to him see what he says i don't really remember the conversation in to much detail
but hey it might make you happy...good luck

Last edited by stlcbr600f4_newb; 02-22-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:23 AM

Update!
I ended up ordering a different motor from eBay.
The first one I linked was $800 for a ~3k mi motor, but when I called they knocked it down to 600 free shipping for no reason... it was shady.
I found another engine from a 2005 F4i with 8.4k mi for $699 w/ free shipping. Track tested before packaged. I spent the few weeks inspecting, mounting, studying the insane hoses going everywhere. I finally got it all together 2 days ago. Starter wouldn't turn over & fuel pump wouldn't prime. Found a loose neutral switch and kickstand sensor, plugged those in and it started churning. Took me a few days to remember the schematic for my USB ignition key but I finally got it together. Plugged the usb in, and voila! fuel pump primed, and after 15 sec of just turning over it started catching a spark. It was a low dying idle until I realized my gas tank was leaky and wasn't priming fully. So repositioned the tank, re-primed, and she fired up strong!!! I was very nervous about the engine swap because when I turned the crank by hand it seemed too smooth, like it had bad compression. But once it warmed up and I gave it some throttle I'm not worried anymore. I then got super excited, fixed up a wiring problem I had, centered the engine properly (aka. a pole for leverage and needle nose for the adjuster mounts xD), and got the chain on the sprocket. So ecstatic I went to roll start it (dead battery). Annnd nothing happened. Tried to jump it, now the fuel pump wont prime which means it's my USB key. I probably shorted it when it touched it's bare wires to my fuel tank and sparks flew everywhere. So, a very exciting climactic then anti-climactic frustrating day. BUT, she's alive! And I couldn't be happier than this nightmare will soon be over. Just one more stop by radioshack to get the ignition squared away. Thanks for all of your help everyone, even though my old motor is just sitting in my garage now, I learned a phenomenal amount about the engine and definitely have a new respect for it. It's going to feel so strange riding after 4+ months.. ahh!!

Old 03-13-2013, 01:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's coolant in the oil pan...becuz you pulled the head off..

Old 03-13-2013, 01:36 AM

haha congrats. what did u do with the old engine? i would turn it into a coffee table..like on top gear.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by mnguyen84
haha congrats. what did u do with the old engine? i would turn it into a coffee table..like on top gear.
Haha thanks! I really don't know, I thought about selling it for parts. I guess I could do that on here. I know for sure the cylinders are in great condition, and it had great power to it. It seems a shame to let it sit around if someone could use the top half. Haven't put much thought into it.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM

Congrats! Just go easy for first few weeks to make sure everything koo.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:22 PM

Rewired the ignition, and got to ride her today! Although it was bogging down on accelleration, I think b/c of very low fuel or a vaccuum hose etc. Still has an exhaust manifold leak due to a missing nut on one pipe. Dont know how that could affect it

Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 PM

i'd start by checking the checking the hoses. since condition of the engine is somewhat unknown...aka ebay.. you may want to do a compression test to make sure that everything is in order.