F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem

This morning I tried starting the bike and the motor was turning but not starting. This is the second time it happened. About 3 weeks ago, I had to press the start button 5-6 times and give it some gas before it started. The bike had been sitting in the garage for about 4 days without being started. I didn't have a problem when my bike was ridden daily, but this morning it started after 5-6 attempts and a little bit of gas again. It was the same kind of situation, the bike hadn't been run in the last 4 days.

I tried checking the spark plugs but I couldn't figure out how to get them off of the motor to look at them. I also thought if it was the spark plug then I would have this issue more regularly, not after the bike had been sitting 4 days. I thought the first time was a fluke, but it happened again this morning. I had a friend tell me that it could be oil leaking into where the gas is after it sits, I'm not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?

Old 07-03-2007, 11:49 PM
Default RE: Starting problem

If you open the gas cap, you should be able to hear the pump run when you try to start the motor and you may see some turbulence from the fuel return. Check the fuses. If the pump runs, pull a spark plug and see if it's wet, getting fuel. If it's dry and the pump runs you may have clogged injectors from the bike sitting. You could have a totally clogged fuel filter. Lots of possibilities.
If the spark plug is wet, check for spark.

took this from here: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...mp;mode=linear

they are talking about a totally different bike, but he mentioned something you might want to try.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:31 AM

Are you driving short distances and not letting the bike warm up completely?? Could be fouled plugs..
Best way to find out what's going on is by pulling a plug as stated above..
Check to see if it's white, grey, or brown..You can probably pull a picture up on the internet somewhere and compare your plug to the ones shown..It will tell you what's going on..

White usually = lean
black/wet usually = rich
greyish is ok

EDIT: Found this
http://www.superstreetonline.com/tec...ugs/index.html

Old 07-04-2007, 09:51 AM

I thought about checking the spark plugs. I moved the radiator, and unpluged all of the wires to the spark plugs but wasn't able to unscrew the spark plugs from the motor. can someone who has checked their spark plugs give some guidance?

I don't think it's the fuel pump, because it runs fine once it's going. I can check that though just to rule it out.