F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

? about purchasing a F4I help please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about purchasing a F4I help please!

I'm new to this forum and possibly about to be new to the cbr. I 'm currently in the market for my first bike, but my problem is that I don't know much about them. I found a 2001 CBR F4I, 22k, Red/Black, w/ helmet, jacket, hard tank bag for 2k. The bike is in excellent shape for the most parts. It needs a new battery and new tires. Also the front fender was replaced and is currently in primer. I'm not sure if this is consider a good deal for this bike. My only concern is the bike has been sitting for about a year, in the elements it appears. Should this be a concern and do you think this price fair? The bike is running it has just been sitting. The guy says he will drain the tank for me, since it has been sitting, and replace the battery. From the prices I have seen this appears to be a really good deal, and a way for me to get a good starter bike at a great price. But I would like some more experienced opinions. I don't have pics of it, but trust me, body wise this bike is pristine.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ? about purchasing a F4I help please!

2k is too good, there has to be something else wrong.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:13 AM

one of the reasons is the fact that he is moving and it has to be gone by the end of the month. i'm gonna have it taken to the honda place for a full inspection. The says the trade in value is about 3200. He told me that if I bought the new tires and battery and took it to trade it in, if they wouldn't give me 3k for it on trade he would give me my money back. He also has all service records

Old 07-04-2007, 10:22 AM

Buying a bike is the same as buying a car. Good deals very seldom are good deals. Have the bike checked out, a $2000 good deal can turn into a much more expensive venture if there are problems. If he changed the front fender you'll want to make sure the front wheel is true (because he obviously hit something). New tires are going to cost about $400 be prepared for that. Painting the fender is going to cost at least $100 unless you use a spray bomb. If you are unfamilliar with bikes go talk to some local mechanics. They will usually for a small fee go with you to check out a bike. I've done it a bunch of times. I charge $50 (canadian funds, so about $40 U.S.).

Bike stuff is expensive, before you let somebody lull into confidence with words like "I just needs", or "that shouldn't cost that much". Understand that it does cost that much. As a general rule everything on a cruiser bike is at least $100, on a sport $150. That adds up fast. $2000 sounds good, but can you buy a plated, properly maintained machine from a guy looking to upgrade for less than your repair costs to your $2000 "deal" from the guy who obviously doesn't ride or maintain his machine.

I have an example. A guy bings a 1980 Kawasaki LTD 750 to me and says he paid $1000 for it. It doesn't run but "it just needs" a carb balancing and safety inspection (You need a safety in Canada to plate the bike). In getting into the job I realize that just to pass the safety the bike needs about $1000 work (brakes, rotors, fork seals, oil leak repair). Then to get the thing running will be an additional $1000 (needed carb tuning, valve shimming plugs wires and ignition coils) . This guy was mad to say the least. His deal turned out to cost much more than the bike was worth just to put it on the road.

Buyer Beware

Old 07-04-2007, 10:23 AM

Def a very good deal! You should def take it to Honda or a service shop to have it looked at before you buy any bike. But good luck!

Old 07-04-2007, 10:29 AM

First let me say thanks to everyone for the very detailed and fast responses. I definitely have no intention of purchasing the bike without a thourough inspection, especially since I am new to them. The front tire is all that "has" to be replaced right now. The back tire is still good, i just figure might as well replace both. I don't intend to pay 2k for something I have to drop a lot into. the fender was replaced cause a lady backed into the fender and offered to replace it. It was parked at the time and wasn't hit hard enough to knock it over. I'm not sure what the dealer would charge me for a full inspection, and that my factor into the purchase price. I'm hoping to have him split the cost of the inspection, initially, and if all is good then I'll pay 100% of it. The guy has been really good about giving me a thourough background and being up front about everything.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:49 PM
I ♥ CBRF

That's absolutely a good deal. If its been in the elements expect to buy a new chain at least,butyeah I would have a shop look atit.Just dont tell them how cheap your getting it for!! If itsin asgood of condition as you say they may offer the guy more cash and then you have a bidding war. Goodluck.