F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem

I have a 2001 cbr f4i and lately it's been blowing the head light fuse. So iv'e been riding without that for a while and on my way to work today I was at a stop light and all this smoke started coming from the bike and it looked like the seat area where the battery and fuse are but I couldn't really make it out because there was so much smoke then the bike died. I turned the key off and smoke stopped. I puled it into a parking lot and the bike wouldn't start, it would turn over but not start. I checked the fuses and the indicator fuse is blown so I put a new one in and once i turn the key it blows immediately. Whats going on. If any one lives in Santa Rosa, CA area I'd appreciate it if you could come help. Thanks.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:38 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Sounds like you have a short somewhere. Problem is I have no idea where you should start looking but sounds like a short

Old 09-03-2010, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stunt'n70f4i
I have a 2001 cbr f4i and lately it's been blowing the head light fuse. So iv'e been riding without that for a while and on my way to work today I was at a stop light and all this smoke started coming from the bike and it looked like the seat area where the battery and fuse are but I couldn't really make it out because there was so much smoke then the bike died. I turned the key off and smoke stopped. I puled it into a parking lot and the bike wouldn't start, it would turn over but not start. I checked the fuses and the indicator fuse is blown so I put a new one in and once i turn the key it blows immediately. Whats going on. If any one lives in Santa Rosa, CA area I'd appreciate it if you could come help. Thanks.
+1 on having a short. Have you recently removed any of the fairings, installed new lighting, accessories, etc. If so, I would start there... Otherwise you can start tracing down the wires for the fuses that keep blowing and hope you find it.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:55 PM

Found the problem but now I have a new problem. So part of the harness was resting on the header and it caught fire that's why my bikes smoked and why my fuses would blow. So I chopped that part of the harness and and rewired. Now my fuses don't blow. What's wierd is that harness didn't connect to anything. It had two sockets that didn't go to anything and that whole piece of the harness was wrapped with electrical tape. The bike was running fine before that harness caught fire. Now the bike turns but won't start and it won't push start either. What's going on? And also my bike doesn't have headlights, horn, blinkers, fogs none of that, so that why I think that part of the harness was taped and left to sit.