F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Screw in tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screw in tire

Well, My bike is brand new (575 miles) and I already had to replace the rear tire. I was out riding yesterday and I pulled over and hear this hissing sound. I immediately thought "oh crap". Here I had a drywall screw stuck dead on, right in the riding part of the tread. I couldn't quite make it home or to a gas station since it was beginning to handle funny, so I had to call backup with an AC powered air pump. I was able to get it home, another 3 miles or less, but it had lost 15 lbs in that amount of time. I picked up a can of slime last night, which was a big mistake, all it did was leak out the screw hole and splatter the underside. I brought it into the dealer this morning, which is a great place and the best around, and they set me up with a Dunlop 208. I had 207's, but I guess they don't make those anymore. My dad followed me to the dealer today and it took about 2 hours to get there...which normally takes about 25 minutes. I had to stop every other mile and pump more air in. It really sucked big time. So, they had me on my way and I was good to go. I'm glad I live close to a nice dealer. They know you by name and they'll go the extra mile. I also bought a Pit Bull sevice stand while I was down there, which I've been putting off for a while now, so I'm all set.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Default RE: Screw in tire

I talked to one of my friends that works the parts department in one of my local dealerships and he said that the Dunlop Qualifiers (208s) are one of the best tires out on the market right now. I also read some reviews on them and the reviewers had nothing but good things to say about them. I noticed a small nail in my rear tire a few weeks ago and I'm going to try to patch it from the inside, but if that doesn't work I'm definately going to get a 208 to replace my old 207. I have a Pitbull rearstand too that I bought from a friend and love it, it makes tire changes and chain maintenance so much easier!

Old 03-02-2006, 04:35 AM

Icefox, I'm happy with the 208 so far, but I'm not really experienced enough of a rider to tell a difference between the two. I think the rubber compound might be a little softer and a little different in tread design, but really close. I think I got the rear on sale for $102. Also, I was told by several very experienced riders that once you get a nail or screw or something in your tire that it's not safe to plug it since a bike tire flexes more that a car tire. I found this out as the screw worked itself out on a few occasions while riding it to the dealer. I think it holds true for the plug too, that it might not hold. A patch might work, but I'm really not sure. You might have to get a new tire. Ask around a little, but that is what I was told.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:14 PM

Yeah, they pretty much told me that they could patch it but wouldn't guarantee it. I figured it would be cheaper to spend ten bucks to try to fix it rather than 150+ to get a new one, plus I don't have too many miles on this old one so I'm trying to get as much as I can out of it.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:23 PM

I had the exact same thing happen to me at 800 miles. Luckily it went flat while sitting in the garage and not on the road though. Ruined a perfect Sunday ride though.