F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Rear tire change..ran over a screw

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear tire change..ran over a screw

I apologize in advance but I just cant seem to find a good write-up with pointers on removing the rear tire and reassembling it!

I ran over a screw last week (middle of tread not side-wall) and the tire seemed to only lose about 2 psi a day..it gave me enough room/time to ride on it until I could get to cyclegear to replace it. Well, yesterday, BAM the screw shot out and I dropped to 0 psi within seconds...its funny bc I noticed the front just "dropping" into turns and I thought "chit! Did my fork seals go or did my forks bend somehow on this ride?" and then it hit me....wow...your back tire is a pancake.

Anyway, the bike is sitting in covered parking and after work today, I am taking the wheel off for the first time in which to bring into cyclegear for replacement.

Can someone give me a straight few sentances and pointers on the correct and easiest way to remove and then install the rear wheel? Thanks!

PS. I have a rear stand.

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 07-15-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned

Its pretty straight forward, remove axle (I beleive a 27mm and breaker), tap through with a rubber mallet, get the caliper out of the way and move the chain, and voila!

Old 07-15-2011, 10:49 AM

Thanks Kaz...I figured it is. What If I dont have a metric socket that big? (27mm and 22mm) What are the equiv. in standard sizes for a 27mm and 22mm?

Also, the caliper will slide right off right? What tools besides the 2 sockets/rubber mallet will I need? How about the chain readjusting? What size small socket it that? Do I put the chain back on, tighten the axel nuts snug....THEN adjust chain...THEN torques nuts?

Old 07-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On stand
Remove axle nut from right side (dont touch chain adjusters)
Hold wheel with right hand and use left hand to yank out axle from left side. might have to tap right side first to get a grip on the left
Now you can remove rear caliper and let hang over swingarm, will slide off bracket towards the back
Now you can remove chain from sprocket because axle is out and chain can be slacked
Roll wheel out
Pull off sprocket from rim if it doesnt fall right off by itself and collect 6 rubber cush thingys.

Use lots of lube on axle for reassembly
good time to clean swingarm/untertail/sprocket

All it takes is 2 tire-irons + lube + rim protectors + dyna beads and you can change your own tires in a matter of minutes. But the process can be super frustrating if it's your first time. youtube has lots of how-to vids on this

Last edited by Sick97SS; 07-15-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:54 AM

Also, non-related, I have to tighten my bar end screws after every ride...they come out about 3-4 full rotations...I cant tighten my throttle side bar end screw to that max bc the bar end needs play in it in order to NOT stick my throttle...but the screw seems to back out on every ride! What can I do!!!! I know there are numerous pieces to buying a new bar end, but can I just replaces the screw? Whats going bad here (making the screw back out)?

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 07-15-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Helpful note... B/f wheel removal, I like to wrap a red shop towel around the brake caliper to prevent wheel scratches.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober
Also, non-related, I have to tighten my bar end screws after every ride...they come out about 3-4 full rotations...I cant tighten my throttle side bar end screw to that max bc the bar end needs play to son so it wont stick my throttle...but the screw seems to back out on every ride! What can I do!!!!
Put some thread locker (blue loc-tite) on the screws to keep them from backing out?

Old 07-15-2011, 12:11 PM

use an adjustable wrench on the left side and use a 1-1/16th socket on the right. Im assuming you have stands? make sure you loosen the nut with the bike still on the ground so you dont have to worry about the bike moving off the stands.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:26 PM

Thanks everyone...Tyfrist, seeing as I have limited tools, I will def use a wrench on the 22mm side and Ill find a 1-1/16th socket for the right!

I assume that upon reassembly, I tighten the bolts snug, THEN adjust chain slack ON THE STAND? Then when done, Tighten axel bolts as tight as I can by hand (as I dont have a torque wrench, you figure tightest by hand is near 69lb right?)

OH...and any advise on the bar ends screws coming looses every ride? Can I just replace the screw with any old screw? Or is the issue the threads?

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 07-15-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:44 PM

you need to adjust chain slack THEN torque the axle down, otherwise the wheel won't slide and you'll bust something (and it won't be fun).

To torque car lug nuts (We do like 94 ft lbs) its pretty freakin hard...but I would consider THAT to be as hard as you can go (just before jumping on the end of the bar). But give it a good yank, 69 foot pounds is a decent amount

Quick Reply: Rear tire change..ran over a screw