Picked up a screw, need a new tire. Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 04:19 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Picked up a screw, need a new tire. Which one?

Hey everyone, got some bad news (for my wallet) today.

I guess i picked up a 1-inch screw in my rear tire earlier today when I got to work. It doesn't leak, it holds air pressure, but the screw is just off center to the right, so I can't lean into right hand corners. So now I need a new rear tire.

Anyone have any suggestions? Do the Dunlop Sportmax OEM tires compete with other aftermarket tires in its price range? The reason I want to go with another OEM Dunlop is because I really like having matching tires (with the yellow lettering). BUT if I have to sacrifice the looks for a much better tire for the same cost, I'm all for it.

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Picked up a screw, need a new tire. Which one?

just use a yellow paint marker for the lettering, im no expert on this subject but i see alot of dunlops on the gp bikes.
the dunlop 2005 AMA winning tire in 180 width for 210.00, i like it so far...

Old 09-26-2006, 11:27 AM

Try a Dunlop Qualifier...really good tire. I've got over 3K on my set now and no complaints. I think they're around $100-120 for the rear depending on where you get it.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:59 AM

A pro racer I know didn't like the qualifiers and still recommends Michelin Pilot Powers...I trust his word and still love those tires.

Blue Fox...I know this is taboo for many people, but did you look into getting your tire plugged? Just make sure they use an umbrella patch...although, 8 out of 10 people will tell you to get a new tire. [&:]

Old 09-26-2006, 12:15 PM

ORIGINAL: bushmasterAR15

just use a yellow paint marker for the lettering, im no expert on this subject but i see alot of dunlops on the gp bikes.
the dunlop 2005 AMA winning tire in 180 width for 210.00, i like it so far...
You really do live in a fantasy world if you think the same tires you see on AMA and GP bikes are the same tires we buy off the shelves...you don't really believe that...do you?

Old 09-26-2006, 12:21 PM

whatever you get, make sure to take it easy for a while on it, or sand down the tire a bit (recomended). right off the shelves they're real slippery...i know someone that got a new tire a week ago, first time out he was takin' it real easy went around the first corner, fine, went through the second corner and just after the corner hit the gas and that was it, went down, bike spun a few times. after that he sanded the tires down and has been fine ever since. they put stuff on the tire to make the shelf life longer and if ya get the tire nice and hot it'll just melt away. some are worse than others, but make sure if ya don't sand it down take it real easy, maybe take it on the highway for a couple hours.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:06 PM

It's pretty important to stay with matching rubber on a bike. Keep in mind your new one will be...well newer than the other. So even then it's going to change things a bit in handling. CBRchica's advice was spot on. You have to break a new tire in or you're in trouble quick. More critical in the front than rear, but under power a rear will break away fast. Keep in mind it's getting cooler outside too. Cold tires + new tires = NO GRIP!!!

Old 09-26-2006, 03:28 PM

how many miles are on your front tire? YOu might as well change both if youre gettin up in miles. I thinkk they say the front tire will last twice as many miles as a rear tire but dont quote me on that.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:13 PM

I agree with the Qualifier. I got mine and I really like it. It has quite a bit of grip, especially compared to stock.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Jet Jockey Z06 Vette

It's pretty important to stay with matching rubber on a bike. Keep in mind your new one will be...well newer than the other. So even then it's going to change things a bit in handling. CBRchica's advice was spot on. You have to break a new tire in or you're in trouble quick. More critical in the front than rear, but under power a rear will break away fast. Keep in mind it's getting cooler outside too. Cold tires + new tires = NO GRIP!!!
+1 if ya change the type of tire, you should get both to match

Quick Reply: Picked up a screw, need a new tire. Which one?