F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Running rich - fuel in oil - what to check?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Running rich - fuel in oil - what to check?

Hi guys,

So I had noticed that my f4i was running a little rich (~33mpg instead of 45+), but I thought that was because I had switched from highway to city 3-mile daily commutes with 5 traffic lights in between >(
So I've run at least 200 miles in the current condition, including at least 60 highway miles.

After the last couple of posts about the Fuel Pressure Regulator, however, I decided to check. I drained a little engine oil (I had filled it up above the sight window anyway, so some draining was in order), and sure enough, it stinks of gas (actually I like the smell, but not from my oil!). While doing this I also noticed that my sight window was exceptionally clear, so I assume the fuel has cleaned it. I had added seafoam to my last tank, so I assume it's gotten into the crankcase too.

I have two questions:
1> What damage would my riding 200+ miles have done?
2> How do I make sure what the problem is? I dont mind replacing the FPR, but then I dont want to wait for another tank of gas to find if my mileage has gone up. Would there be obvious cracked seals on it?

Also, I'm not sure I've found the fuel pressure regulator - attached below are 2 schematics from bikebandit.com. Could someone please point it out to me? How easy is it to replace? (is there a service manual ref page?)

Thanks

Old 02-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Running rich - fuel in oil - what to check?

The FPR is the bell shaped metal thing on the rear left side of the airbox (#20)... it is attached to a thin brown vacuum hose and a thick black hose (fuel return hose). If you pull off the vacuum hose while the bike is idling... IF your fpr is badit should be spitting out fuel. My regulator was even dripping fuel when the bike was off and completely cold. If you replace it don't forget to change out the o-ring!

Old 02-13-2007, 11:51 PM

just finish the fuel and fill it up w/ new gas
sometimes bad gas causes a lower mpg

Old 02-14-2007, 12:43 AM

ORIGINAL: shraz

just finish the fuel and fill it up w/ new gas
sometimes bad gas causes a lower mpg
Yeah. And bad gas is always an explanation of fuel in the oil.

Definately sounds like a bad FPR.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:02 PM

I took off the vacuum hose as xds949 suggested, but didnt see any fuel squirt/drip from the fpr... does that mean it's all right?

Old 02-15-2007, 12:11 AM

Anyone else please?
This is my only mode of transport and I dont want to mess up my baby!

Old 02-15-2007, 12:34 AM

I would do an oil change to get the possible fuel/oil mix out of your engine. you say in your original post that you think the bike is running rich as you are getting worse fuel mileage. I'm not sure if this makes sense as the term running rich indicates more fuel than air used in the combustion process.. I would do an oil change and possible take your bike to the dealer(bad word) and ask them to check the long term and short term fuel trim on your bike. They can tell you if you are actually running rich or not. Do you have any driveability issues, hard to start, lack of power etc. which could be a symptom of running rich? I'm just taking a guess here, your poor gas mileage may be due to your daily commute changing., but this doesn't explain your fuel in the oil issue. Is the smell strong or just kinda smells like fuel which is normal to some degree???

Old 02-15-2007, 02:36 AM

By rich I only meant low mileage...
performance-wise it seems ok, other than a slightly delayed throttle response that I might only be imagining.

So currently I cant decide whether I've been a dumb*** : I have collected some of the oil in a bottle and I smelled it again today and it does smell as if I'm standing over the fuel hose while I fuel the bike. i.e. there is a strong gas-like smell. But then my friend has some oil from a change (from his kawi 250 with <5k miles) that he's yet to dispose of. I opened that and it smelled pretty much the same! So I wonder if I'm just not a connoisseur of fine hydrocarbons and cant differentiate oil from gas, or if there is really a problem that I should take care of

What do you guys think? Should I take the oil sample up to the local shop and make the guy smell it? (hehe that would be a strange request)

Old 02-15-2007, 08:53 PM

The oil is going to smell like combustion gases(fuel etc.) on every bike, I would do an oil change and ride it. if you have no drivability issues and no carbon on the tail. Your probably not running rich. To get alot of fuel in the oil you would of had to flooded the bike. My 2 cents