F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Running Rich, Bad Fuel Economy, and ticking...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Rich, Bad Fuel Economy, and ticking...

Bike: 03 F4i
Mileage: 8,300
Problem: Running Rich (unburnt fuel smell when entering garage)
Low Fuel Mileage (around 25-30 mpg when keeping MOSTLY under 5,000 rpms)
Slight ticking on constant throttle (could be valves, but don't know)
History: Been dropped twice, last owner thought was stuttering at constant throttle so put RPM's up to see if it would help. Has history of aggressive riding (again from last owner)
What I want to do: I want to get the bike running in tip top shape to keep the bike healthy, but also improve the fuel mileage. My plan is to
1) Fuel injector cleaner
2) Return idle back to stock
3) check valves
4) adjust/ replace valves if necessary
now I have very little history working on bikes, and a little on cars, nothing with internal engine work though. I dont have a motorcycle lift or stands, and have no idea how hard its going to be to check. adjust the valves. I do have a repair manual for the bike, which I assume will help.
If it would be at all possible for those of you who have experience with this sort of thing to tell me if I should first of all be concerned at all, and second of all am I doing the right things I would appreciate it. Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Default RE: Running Rich, Bad Fuel Economy, and ticking...

The first thing I would do is a basic tune up. Change oil/filter, check plugs and replace if necessary, replace coolant, run some Seafoam through the engine, and check the air filter. If you still dont see any changes then I would adjust the valves. There is a good write up that someone posted up a while back that you could search for. That in combination with your repair manual and you should be fine. Dont forget your shims

Old 07-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Try just pouring half a can of "Sea Foam" in the tank, it will clean out any carbon deposits in there and clean your fule injectors it helps with an engine that surges.. lemmie know if it helps it's only 5 bucks a can and a can does 25 gallons

Old 07-23-2008, 01:03 PM

Thats what I was thinking too, but owner said in order to fix the problem he tried an oil change and filter, and I believe he said coolant as well, but im not sure? I'll check that asap. I have heard of seafoam and looked for some, but im a little scared to keep running my bike in its current condition. Not because its running badly, but I just love this thing and don't want it to last for 100,000 miles+ if possible. lol

Old 07-23-2008, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: RojerLockless

Try just pouring half a can of "Sea Foam" in the tank, it will clean out any carbon deposits in there and clean your fule injectors it helps with an engine that surges.. lemmie know if it helps it's only 5 bucks a can and a can does 25 gallons
I'll get a can today and ride the bike another 100 miles or so before I start taking her apart. I wish I actually knew people in my area that ride motorcycles so I could get some more experienced in person advice, but I don't have a single friend who's into bikes... well at least bikes that aren't a Harley... lol

Old 07-23-2008, 03:40 PM

In my opinion, BG products are the only way to go. Seafoam is only as good as all those other cheap injector cleaners. Try "BG 44K" its kind of expensive ($20) but its the best product for cleaning injectors.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

02 sensor and/or knock sensors need to be checked.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:32 PM

Actually chevron with techron cleaner is the best, it was tested by me and used a borescope to check it.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:33 PM

Check the fuel pressure regulator also. When it starts going out, it'll dump fuel into #2 and #3 cylinders. Burns really rich....=-)

Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 AM

Redline SI-1 and Gumout Regane (just Regane, not therest of thePOS gumout line) are alsovery good fuel injector cleaners, at least as good as BG44K. Techron is decent.

Quick Reply: Running Rich, Bad Fuel Economy, and ticking...