F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Right Side Ignition Switch Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Right Side Ignition Switch Replacement?

Is there a DIY for the replacement of the whole Ignition Switch Assembly?

I did search and didn't find much.

Any pitfalls I should be aware of? (Looks like the throttle cables might be a pain.)

I noticed that the long wire for the assembly goes underneath the headlights, do I have to remove the front fairing clip to access this?

I have the whole bike torn apart as I was doing the Fuel Pressure Regulator, Plugs, Chain Tensioner (PITA!), new Ignition Switch Assembly and air cleaner so I figured I might as well replace this now as well.

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2012, 12:53 AM

The ignition switch was super easy to move but you gotta pull the fairing to get at the bolts not hard just time consuming

Old 03-26-2012, 08:12 AM

Thanks Sir! I had a couple more questions for ya:

1) I have the left and right side fairings off, as well as the grey colored plastic upper fairings. Am I understanding you correctly that I have to remove the Front Upper Fairing (the body colored piece with the windshield/headlights) to get at the electrical connector? (In green arrow below)

2) What bolts were you referring to? I know there are only 2 bolts that keep the throttle cables in, and then two screws that keep the switch together.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:41 AM

thought you wher moving the key switch my bad, i dont think you have to remove the upper for that i would first just try and run my hand along the wiring untill you find the harness plug, i have xl hands though so i would remove them. removal will also be easier in the long run cuz ur gonna have to resnake the throttle cables and wiring blind otherwise . getting it unplugged without removing the fairings may be doable but reconecting it with all that in the way might be next to impossible. also if your moving the throttle as well you are probly gonna need new cables to compansate for the extra length needed to cross fromright to left on the bike you might be able to find a new way to snake the lines but be sure your not gonna melt the insulation (engine heat) and that you have a full range of steering b4 you reassemble everything. good luck

Old 03-26-2012, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the info Sir!

I am not moving the ignition switch assembly, just replacing the whole unit with a new one. (the igition button broke and i rigged it last summer...just replacing the whole unit now.)

Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 AM

I ended up changing mine out last night.

You will have to pull the tank and air box off to reduce the tension on the throttle cables on the throttle handle. I was not able to do it any other way. It was a good thing I had everything apart already. If I would do this again I would buy two new throttle cables and put them on at the same time.

You have to disconnect two wiring harnesses. One is right behind the unit and plugs into the break handle. The other is behind the speedometer, covered in a rubber sheath. You will need a long screwdriver to push down on the clip holding it in.

Cliff notes: To remove/replace the whole switch assembly you will need to pull the side fairing, the upper gray side fairing, the whole air box.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:33 PM

i played with this on my bike to get a better idea you can get the unit off if you remove the clip on and invert it it will avoid th need to remove the air box