F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Reserve fuel light issue??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reserve fuel light issue??

Whats up everyone? Here is what happened to me today.....While I was out riding, the 4 bar fuel reserve light came on. I did not think anything of it, and just knew that I would have to get gas soon. By the time I got to where I was going, I had the top 2 bars on the reserve flashing. I knew that I would have to get gas on my way home. While heading home, The 4 bar reserve came back on, this time they were all solid and the top 2 were no longer flashing. While riding, I started to feel a hesitation at times while climbing in the RPM's, all 4 bars were still solid. About 100 feet from the gas station I intended to go to, i got the hesitation again while accelerating, and the bike shut off, luckly I was able to roll into the gas station. When the bike shut off, it still showed all 4 bars solid. I put gas in the bike, which took 4.6 gallons. The bike started right up and rode fine the rest of the way home.

Has anyone run into a similar situation with the 4 fuel reserve bars, for a lack of better words, lying to you?? I have never had this issue before. Since the bike took 4.6 gallons, and rode fine after, I dont think it is any other issue, unless someone tells me otherwise. Thanks for the input.....oh by the way, from the time I left the place I was at, to the bike turning off right before the gas station, it was only about 5 miles.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Default RE: Reserve fuel light issue??

I ran out of gas before. Now instead of the four bars meaning low fuel, it means GET TO A PHUCKEN GAS STATION!!!!!!!!!! I dont remember if it was still on four bars when I ran out though.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:52 PM

Like I post everytime this question is posted...which is quite often, I suggest using your trip odometer instead of relying on the idiot gauge. Usually I go about 100~115miles until the RES bar comes on and that's about whenI fill up. I have heard too many horror stories about the RES bar problems.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:37 AM

I wish I could use the trip odometer but I have a electrical short somewhere that prevents me from using it.everytime I start the bike, the trip odometer and the clock reset. when I put the fuse back in for the odometer and the clock, the bike wont start. I know I should get the short fixed but I have no idea how to do it and i dont have the time, or really the money to bring it into the shop to get it done. The bike runs great but i dont have a trip odometer or a clock and that brings me to the $h!t i had to deal with tonight. This is the first time I have had an issue with the reserve bars.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:07 AM

Direct from the shop manual:

INSPECTION

Turn the ignition switch to 'ON' and make sure the fuel reserve indicator comes on.

If the fuel reserve indicator does not indicate properly, check the following.

Disconnect the fuel reserve sensor 3P (Black) connector.
Short the wire harness side connector Brown/Black and Green/Black terminals with a jumper wire.

Turn the ignition switch to 'ON' and make sure the fuel reserve indicator comes on with the side stand retracted.

If the indicator comes on, replace the fuel pump assembly.
If the indicator still does not come back on, check for an open or short circuit in wire harness.

Hope that helps. If you are unsure of how to jump the wires, then take it to the stealership. It'll probably just be cheaper just to replace it yourself. Personally, the first thing I would do would be to start disconnecting stuff and looking for frayed and burnt wires and connection pins. It sounds like your bike might have a couple of those already...

Old 10-21-2008, 02:09 PM

This is a good spot for me to post a follow up to last week's fuel reserve bar questions. I think weguessed that different year F4i's have differently functioning indicator lights for low fuel.

Previously, I posted that my 2003 would show 4 solid bars, then each bar would start blinking one by one until all 4 were blinking together. Immediatelyafter all4 were blinking on my 03 I could still only put in about3.8 gallons.

Some people said afterall4 bars start blinking together if you keep ridingthe bars come back up and then slowly disappear completely until you're out of fuelbut I haven't seen that happen on mine.

Today I ran mine as low as I ever have. I ran it until all 4 bars started blinking together then I kept riding around town waiting for them to do something else. They never did, they just kept blinking together and eventually I stopped and put 4.17 gallons in.

That's as low as I want to go.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:23 PM

Had 4 blinking bars on a major hwy!! nervous as hell, made it to the station in time though